• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone Using Trailboss ?

trail boss was developed for cowboy action shooting. The idea was to have a very light load but fill up more/most/all of the case so there's not "position sensativity" that you see with most powders (i.e. if you only fill 25% of the case with powder, and you tilt the muzzle up then fire, you will get very different results than if you tilt the muzzle down and the fire).

I've used it in a few calibers, mostly cowboy action (38/357, 44mag, 32-20, 45 schofield, 45 colt, etc). I know that folks use it a lot for lighter "plinking" loads and for that it's good. Even subsonic loads in some calibers.

the biggest thing to keep in mind with TrailBoss is DO NOT COMPRESS LOADS with it. you get big pressure spikes. don't' try to get a certain velocity by adding more powder. it's very hard to overcharge the cases because of how fluffy the powder is, but I've always read and heard that they have big warnings about compressed loads with it. don't do it. Here's the link to their website. After all the meticulous info on reloading, it's funny to see how they recommend loading Trail Boss:

http://www.hodgdon.com/shotpist.html

Back
Top Bottom