AR’s What brands to stay away from?

I’ve heard Radical Firearms can be hit or miss. I’ve had two PSA uppers that have had canted front sights. They zeroed and shot fine, but they were canted.

But any factory rifle from a reputable manufacturer will serve you well. A factory base rifle from Ruger, S&W, Spikes, PSA..they should all serve you pretty well

I like the ones they want to ban... but ok... This is my opinion it is not based on fact but purely extrapolated information gleaned from the inter webbed best armchair warriors.

ATI
Olympic Arms
Bushmaster (they used to be good)
Remington
Anything with a Plastic Lower
Anything that doesn't claim MILSPEC.
Anything that isn't Chrome lined.

Just Get a PSA Gun with FN barrel and be done with it.
There are plenty of manufacturers that are better than mil-spec.

I’m thinking about building an AR in the future and wanted fellow ODT members opinions on what AR brands to stay away from. Looking at basic AR Platform (lower price) and adding accessories.

Might be worth attending one of the AR builders classes at Truprep. Then you can make a decision on which way you want to go build/buy wise.

I’m the one that teaches the AR Builder’s / Armorer’s Course at TruPrep. Next one is September 10. https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...rse-september-10-truprep-in-marietta.2843581/

If you’re looking at assembling it yourself, while staying in a budget, here’s some parts that I would recommend. You didn’t specify, so I’m assuming a 16” 5.56. If you want something different, let me know and I’ll see if that changes anything.

Aero Precision X15 receiver set. $165

Ballistic Advantage 16” Hanson profile barrel, midlength gas system, 1:7” twist, with pinned gas block. $199

Sionics full milspec BCG. $169

Aero LPK without FCG or grip. $45

Magpul MOE stock and pistol grip $50

Aero Precision H2 buffer kit (receiver extension, castle nut, receiver endplate, buffer spring, and H2 buffer). $59

BCM PNT (trigger), or similar. $60

BCM MCMR 15” rail. $179

A2 bird cage flash hider. $13

That’s a solid gun, when assembled properly. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it as a primary fighting carbine.

There is room to pare the price down a little bit, without sacrificing reliability. Using a USGI-type collapsible stock and pistol grip would reduce the cost by about $30.

I built one that my dog really likes to play with..........

dog sniper.gif

Rather than telling you what to stay away from, I’ll list some of the wallet-friendly manufacturers for certain parts that I do recommend.

Receivers: Aero Precision, BCM, Centurion

Barrels: Ballistic Advantage/Aero Precision, Faxon

Rails: BCM MCMR (impossible to beat for the money), Aero R-One and S-One

BCG: Microbest (BCM, SOLGW, Centurion, BRT, and more), Sionics, Colt, DD
Stick with manganese phosphate or hard chrome.
Stay away from NiB and nitride.
Look for the following specs:
-Carpenter 158 steel bolt
-8620 steel carrier
-hard chrome in the carrier bore and gas key
-Grade 8 fasteners, each double staked, for the gas key
-bolt is High Pressure Tested (HPT) and Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI)

LPK: Aero, CMT, Centurion, Sionics, BCM

Back
Top Bottom