• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR-15 deemed safe new data

I like these kinds of video as much as the next 2A dude, but you can't compare dying as a result of an accident or illness with dying as a result of an interaction with another person.

Far better is a comparison that's closer to like-for-like.

2002 Murder by weapon type

It's unclear is whether the statistics factor in (or more correctly, out) suicides. I'm unable to see the source of the base data, so it's hard to know for sure.

I know it's not exactly the point the video is making, but it's probable that at least some of the "Firearms, type not stated" are indeed rifles - and of those, maybe 20% will be with 'evil black guns'. So let's be generous and say maybe 1,000 (which I suspect errs on the very high side). You're still seeing fewer deaths than deaths by bladed weapons - but we don't see calls for banning of kitchen knives (nobody needs a knife with a 10" blade!)

Well, I say that. You're not seeing calls for banning knives in America anyway.

I like these kinds of video as much as the next 2A dude, but you can't compare dying as a result of an accident or illness with dying as a result of an interaction with another person.

Far better is a comparison that's closer to like-for-like.

2002 Murder by weapon type

It's unclear is whether the statistics factor in (or more correctly, out) suicides. I'm unable to see the source of the base data, so it's hard to know for sure.

I know it's not exactly the point the video is making, but it's probable that at least some of the "Firearms, type not stated" are indeed rifles - and of those, maybe 20% will be with 'evil black guns'. So let's be generous and say maybe 1,000 (which I suspect errs on the very high side). You're still seeing fewer deaths than deaths by bladed weapons - but we don't see calls for banning of kitchen knives (nobody needs a knife with a 10" blade!)

Well, I say that. You're not seeing calls for banning knives in America anyway.
He’s drawing stats from the FBI UCR (unified crime report) which is homicides only, no suicides or accidents as I understand it.

IMG_5110.jpeg

He’s drawing stats from the FBI UCR (unified crime report) which is homicides only, no suicides or accidents as I understand it.

View attachment 6418943

See, that's a comparison that I think holds up better given that they're unrelated to illnesses. The only shame is that LE Departments don't always file their statistics with the FBI, so there's a possibility all of the numbers are somewhat higher than the FBI are reporting.

See, that's a comparison that I think holds up better given that they're unrelated to illnesses. The only shame is that LE Departments don't always file their statistics with the FBI, so there's a possibility all of the numbers are somewhat higher than the FBI are reporting.
Having worked in the fire service and knowing how aggressively militant fire administrators can be about our incident reports due to the nature of federal and/or state funding based off those stats, I’d guess reporting is more likely to be padded, fluffed and exaggerated as opposed to neglected. That’s just from my experience in municipal government…budgets…ergo careers…live and die by the amount of matching federal funding based on our “stats”. Hell, we have classes on how to “properly document” reports and it’s not about accuracy as much as it is about $$$

Back
Top Bottom