• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR build advice

Best advise I can give you is to stop modding it right now. Go buy all the hunting soft point ammo you can afford and see how it shoots. Shot placement is the most important thing in hunting and you need to know where you will hit at your normal hunting ranges (hint: most of Ga is under 100 yards). Get it zeroed on a rest and then make sure you can hit an orange free hand/or rail at hunting ranges and you will be good. I went from a 7.62x39 to 308 AR back to 7.62x39 because of the short ranges I hunt at. After you know where POI is going to be, trigger is the only thing I like to change and then you will need to retest again.

Several of the guys that have hunted with us have used 223 to take deer. Again, shoot placement is the only thing that impresses deer.

Stop building it out. The Ruger is an ok'ish entry rifle, but that is it. You are replacing absolutely everything on it, so just sell it and buy a better rifle that has a lot of the features you want/need.

As far as building an AR10, it gets a bit dicier. Same general principles, but there is no "mil-spec" for companies to fall back on. There are different specs from different companies.

Best advise I can give you is to stop modding it right now. Go buy all the hunting soft point ammo you can afford and see how it shoots. Shot placement is the most important thing in hunting and you need to know where you will hit at your normal hunting ranges (hint: most of Ga is under 100 yards). Get it zeroed on a rest and then make sure you can hit an orange free hand/or rail at hunting ranges and you will be good. I went from a 7.62x39 to 308 AR back to 7.62x39 because of the short ranges I hunt at. After you know where POI is going to be, trigger is the only thing I like to change and then you will need to retest again.

Several of the guys that have hunted with us have used 223 to take deer. Again, shoot placement is the only thing that impresses deer.
My shot placement isn't the best, at 100 yards is still a 7-in group, which is not bad but it could use improving, I understand with saving my money and start upgrading once I get better, but I always felt like I was limited by the tools that I had hence why I want to get better equipment

Stop building it out. The Ruger is an ok'ish entry rifle, but that is it. You are replacing absolutely everything on it, so just sell it and buy a better rifle that has a lot of the features you want/need.

As far as building an AR10, it gets a bit dicier. Same general principles, but there is no "mil-spec" for companies to fall back on. There are different specs from different companies.
I was told the Ruger is a really good rifle, I love my Ruger 10/22 good quality rifle n best varmint rifle ever, I'm only planning on replacing the BCG, and maybe the trigger system down the road, I could sell it with the equipment it has put on and maybe get my money back, but the rifle I want is a DD rifle and the cheapest I found was one at $2300

If you have 7" groups at 100, something is off either with the gun or you. Things to check: barrel nut is tight, scope and rings properly torqued, ammo (use brass case). If you changed out the muzzle device, remove it and see if you groups improve. Have you had someone else try the gun and see who they do?

My shot placement isn't the best, at 100 yards is still a 7-in group, which is not bad but it could use improving, I understand with saving my money and start upgrading once I get better, but I always felt like I was limited by the tools that I had hence why I want to get better equipment
7 inches at 100 yards pretty bad. Could be the Indian, the arrows or the bow, or a combo

I'm in need of wisdom. I'm kinda new to the whole ar scene, I've had a few smaller rifes Savage 22, Ruger 10/22, Remington 22-250 bolt action, that kinda deal. I recently purchased a ruger ar556 in the midst of the worldwide bs, I might've paid on the higher side, but never the less I've been building the ruger Ar to replace my Remington as a my goto hunting rifle. So far I've put a mlok free float handrail, Amazon bipod, and I put an nikon scope off my Remington. U would like to upgrade the BCG, n the trigger. What would be y'all's advice?
Also I'm looking into possibly building a AR-10 308 from scratch, 556 is a good round but not as powerful as a 308, what should I look into first? What are things I should look out for? Any advice would be helpful thanks.
Ditch the bipod unless your on a bench, leave the BCG, it wouldn't hurt to get good with a decent milspec trigger like the Ruger has, just shoot it. Practice all your rules of firearms safety, engaging and disengaging the safety. It's fun to add a bunch of crap to an AR but really doesn't need it.

I like red dots better than scopes for most of mine. Also like having a good weapon light. If you're going to put amazon crap on your AR just leave it off and buy more mags and ammo. That's my useless internet advice.

Your Ruger will more than likely shoot under 2-3" groups very easily.

Back
Top Bottom