AR build advice

My shot placement isn't the best, at 100 yards is still a 7-in group, which is not bad but it could use improving, I understand with saving my money and start upgrading once I get better, but I always felt like I was limited by the tools that I had hence why I want to get better equipment

7" group standing? Or off a bench with the bipod?

I was told the Ruger is a really good rifle, I love my Ruger 10/22 good quality rifle n best varmint rifle ever, I'm only planning on replacing the BCG, and maybe the trigger system down the road, I could sell it with the equipment it has put on and maybe get my money back, but the rifle I want is a DD rifle and the cheapest I found was one at $2300
It's one of the better bare minimum entry rifles. Nothing more. If you are replacing the rail, the trigger and the BCG, you are replacing the guts of the rifle and putting good money into it and at the same time not touching the biggest component, the barrel, and are stuck with the bottom tier barrel even after all the money added. I get the joy in tinkering, but for the cost of the ruger and all of the upgrades, you could get a better rifle from the start. Just trying to help. Many of us have made the same mistake. Some of us admit it, some won't. Not to mention, you could be downgrading the rifle and not know it.

DD's can be had well under $2k, even in these times. But at $1k ish, you can have a helluva rifle straight from the factory.

Buy a lead sled solo. One that accommodates the AR15. Find the ammo that shoots best using the lead sled to see which produces the smallest groups. It takes a lot of variables out so you can dial in a precise zero. Once that is established then use the ammo the rifle likes best to practice. The only way to see how tight the rifle shoots is establish a solid base. That's where the solid mount of Led sled zero comes in. Then you know just what is you or the rifle. After that then practice, practice, practice.. that same led sled can be used with all rifles it's design allow for the AR and other rifles. It use is invaluable when zeroing any gun.

Go to an Appleseed training event to get better at running your platform. There will be one somewhere near-ish you (can't see where you are in Georgia). You won't get better marksmanship training for twice the price.

I would believe that to be your biggest problem at the moment. Once you exceed the limits of your platform then you can start looking for upgrades.

www.rwva.org

I've seen plenty of stock Ruger ARs shoot under 3" groups at 100 yards using just a sling. Plenty good enough for hunting right out of the box.

PM me if you want more information on the program.

I wouldn't worry so much about the BCG. In my opinion there are WAY better modifications like trigger and "tuning" your gas system.(you can get info on that from YouTube)
That's just my "upgrading a Ruger 556" recommendation. If you want my advice on a hunting platform, ditch the 556 and go 762/308 right now. Get proffecient with it from the get go ( no sense in upgrading a 556 and practicing with it just to start all over with 308 later). I'm not just spouting pretentious advice....it's literally what I'm in the process of doing myself.
I'm transitioning from bolt gun to 308 AR this season myself.

Start looking for a good deal on a decent rifle. Re-barrel it and put a great trigger in it and you will off to the races. Or just build a Aero Precision chassis and put a good barrel, bcg and trigger. Be prepared to get ass raped on a good BCG. Mine cost almost 400 bucks. I've got almost 1,800 in my build and that doesn't include an optic. That's why a pre-owned rifle might be a good start. Put one of those premium stainless Ballistic advantage barrels on and run. A good trigger goes a long way so that might be in order as well. A good 3.5 or 2.5 lb. trigger does so much it's hard to describe.

Building one from scratch is expensive. It will eat up a 1000 dollars and you will still have half a rifle or more to build. Just sit down and build it out on a paper with parts and prices and then make a decision. If it's gonna be a hunter then go with a stainless barrel for obvious reasons. You might find that after pricing parts out you may only be a few hundred away from your dream gun. Peace out and good luck with your endeavor.

Back
Top Bottom