• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AR castlenut removal?

LewisBrookshire

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
133   0
Reaction score
I bought a castle nut wrench and was going to replace my buffer tube from commercial to milspec size so I could instal my milspec stock. I got everything ready, watched the youtube video for instruction and then tried.....could not budge the castlenut. I got to looking and the locking plate is staked in to some notches on the castlenut. How in the world do I get it off.....does it just take brute force to remove or is there a trick to it?

Apply some fine oil (Kroil oil) or something similar. After this set a few minutes, place the wrench securely on the nut, and turn to loosen. The tube threads will have slight damage due to someone staking, but it should come free.

I would not do it with the brutal force. Remember, it is aluminum and you have a risk to damage the receiver. Try to "un-stak" the castle nut. Put a screwdriver in the notch of the castle nut towards the front of the receiver and hammer it carefully to move the backplate bulge from the castle nut notch. I use and old screwdriver that I sharpened 60 deg. to work better. Wrap the back of the receiver with masking tape, just in case the screwdriver jumps to prevent the scratch on the receiver.

Also look for signs of loc-tite thread locker. Some builders use it for some reason. I bought one customer a new receiver last year because of that stuff. The aluminum gives before the loc-tite! I can assure you of that.

Ok, I finally got that thing off and the buffertube and stock replaced. I think I will have to replace the takedown pin denton pin because a short section got mangeled taking the castlenut off. Its still long enough to stick out the back and is under pressure and working when I put it back together but I will replace it anyway.

I ended up slowly but surely hammering the staked peices away from the castlenut and it finally released. Thanks again for all of the help guys!

By the way I almost lost the spring pin that holds the big spring and buffer in the tube. I forgot about it and when I loosened the buffertube off it shot about 10 feet in the air and landed on the floor. It took me about 10 minutes on my hands and knees on the garage floor looking for it! lol

Last edited:
Been there, Done That. Some Penetrating Oil and Heat will take care of that.

this..I THINK I had some locking agent on mine, took a lighter to it, put the wrench on it, and GENTLY tapped on it with a small hammer. Came right out, no harm done

EDIT: just read your post..glad ya got it:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom