AR Charging Handles - space w/ offset irons

KonstantOne

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
1   0
Reaction score
While I have parts coming in for various things and have them laying around, I have been doing some experimenting and I wanted to share a bit about my experience with two common charging handles -
TLDR: Not enough room to run offset irons (MBUS Pro Offset, in this case) and have full functionality of a two-sided charging handle. Pic below.

On my DDM4V7PRO I have a LPVO mounted and MBUS Pro Offset, which seemed the safest choice for backup sights in this config. Rear MBUS is mounted as close to the brass deflector as possible, which only puts it at the T2 position, and this leaves just a finger sized hole between the sights and the BCM Mod 4B charging handle to operate the flip up sights.
Thats fine, it works. Charging handle is only operable form other side, there is barely but enough room to flip up sight. I have been curious whether or not a 'dual sided' charging handle that is a bit longer would allow me to operate it from either side, should the need arise (if it possible, why not, right?). In comes a Radian Raptor SD for another build and its time to try stuff!

I slapped the Radian on and the results are .... disappointing. While the right side of this charging handle is bigger than the BCM, it is angled forward which does not leave enough room to comfortably operate with the offset MBUS there. The MBUS cant move forward, or would have to sit in front of ejection port(too far). I am not upgrading this charging handle in the near future as I was expecting to. Surprise, surprise.
Perhaps details changing would change this - different sights, different charging handles, different uppers (all sorts of crazy things out there these days), but I feel that these are fairly representative of a good number of parts that are out there.

This was a fun learning experience and I hope that it may help others who are piecing things together.

53B6E001-7683-41E8-9F95-FDFD47887574.jpg

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Put the optic in a solid QD mount and run your BUIS top dead center.
That was the other option I has when forming the idea behind this setup. I decided on this because the other option would have been heavier and more expensive. I expect the LPVO to run reliably and be the primary, so I optimized for that with the lightweight, solid mount. The irons are meant to be strictly backup, so they were put off to the side. It works. I'm happy enough with it to not shell out for more expensive stuff.

Or buy a pair of cheap Ozark Armament fixed offsets, tap them for threads all the way through at the front sight post, upgrade the front sight post to suit, sand all the edges, rattle can to suit, and sell your nice folding sights on ODT.
I do like those Ozark fixed offset sights. Great suggestion, thanks! Why the tapping and post upgrading? Is the stock one not sufficient?

Is the ambi handle necessary to you? If not, ditch it.
If it is necessary, replace the offset irons with an offset MRDS.
Absolutely not 'necessary'. This was an experiment to see if it was an option and if so, if it is a worthwhile one. It's neither so far :)

3AE26194-B2B7-4B12-89A7-A31F6E04A8B8.jpeg
My cheap fixed offsets weren’t threaded far enough to accept the upgrade posts I bought on brownells. Easy fix, the hole is deep enough, just not threaded all the way, so I could just run the tap out through the existing hole, no problem. The upgrade posts are very nice imo.

Back
Top Bottom