• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

No latch charging handles

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
Those of you that have experience with them please give me the positives and negatives of these gizmos. I haven't used one yet but it seems like no wear on the upper receiver recess that a standard CH locks into. Is this the correct way of thinking. Just looking into something new. Thanks gentlemen.

Was this a feature of Stoner's original design, once the charging handle got moved from the top of the carry handle to the rear of the receiver?
What was the idea behind it anyway? Not having the action pulled open by accident if you slid the rifle along the ground and the handle snagged something just at the tip, but not where the release lever was?

I don't think I'd miss it, if it were deleted and the charging handle could be pulled back from either side, without needing to get a finger in the "right spot" to release it.

PS: This is assuming that the FRICTION of the charging handle's main spine or shaft will keep it in place when the bolt cycles.
I would not want the charging handle moving back and forth with every shot I take !!!

I’d need that explained to me…it seems the primary purpose of the latch is to keep the charging handle from reciprocating…why delete the catch? To what benefit? Trying to avoid wear and tear on the upper seems a bit trivial since it’s a low frequency activity anyway.

Sounds stupid.

How is there any more significant wear on that minimal interface than on the primary action of the gun? And why is it even a concern?

Hard time believing this isn't a troll thread....

Sounds stupid.

How is there any more significant wear on that minimal interface than on the primary action of the gun? And why is it even a concern?

Hard time believing this isn't a troll thread....
No it's not a troll thread. I just saw one when I was looking up charging handles and wondered what was the significance of it. I can't imagine any other reason for no latch. I think GAgunLAWbooklet explained it best with the accidental charger movement. I have never even considered on and wondered why someone would even want one. This is just straight up curiosity working here, nothing more and nothing less. Like I said these gizmos and what's the benefit. I did say " Is this the correct way of thinking. ". I had no clue why someone would buy one. I didn't know exactly why so I ask. No big deal!

If you take away the possibility of the charging binding a little somehow and it flying towards your face when it cycles, I can't for the life of me figure out the benefit of such a creation.

No it's not a troll thread. I just saw one when I was looking up charging handles and wondered what was the significance of it. I can't imagine any other reason for no latch. I think GAgunLAWbooklet explained it best with the accidental charger movement. I have never even considered on and wondered why someone would even want one. This is just straight up curiosity working here, nothing more and nothing less. Like I said these gizmos and what's the benefit. I did say " Is this the correct way of thinking. ". I had no clue why someone would buy one. I didn't know exactly why so I ask. No big deal!

Understood. That was mostly my typical harsh sarcasm. That being said the CH is a pretty integral part to the gun, and i would never dream of going cheaper than "meel-speck".... a gun ain't worth a **** if you can't rack it.

If you're looking for ways to save money, buy some cheap old regular furniture...

Understood. That was mostly my typical harsh sarcasm. That being said the CH is a pretty integral part to the gun, and i would never dream of going cheaper than "meel-speck".... a gun ain't worth a **** if you can't rack it.

If you're looking for ways to save money, buy some cheap old regular furniture...
Oh believe you me I had no intentions of buying one. I was simply trying to get to the bottom of why someone would use one to begin with. It's Radian Raptor for me every time all the time. That's what I have on all my rifles and they work flawlessly. What I couldn't wrap my head around is why even deviate from the tried and true method. I just couldn't for the life of me wonder what the absence of a latch would do. I mean when you pull the charging handle rearward that automatically depresses the lever or levers on a ambi anyway. I appreciate all the replies but I think some of you thought I was considering one and that was not and is not the case here. I thought maybe some of you had or have been running one and could justify it's existence. I looked the question up on many forums before I posed the question here and could not get a valid response. Everyone pointed out their potential faults but no one explained why they make them in the first place. Baffling!

Everyone pointed out their potential faults but no one explained why they make them in the first place. Baffling!
I thought my response gave one reason they made them. They allow ambi charging for cheaper than a typical ambi charging handle. All the ambis I have tried for similar or cheaper than the latches have fallen apart with even light range use. I don't have one, but I can see it as a way to get ambi operation without paying $100 for a decent ambi.

Back
Top Bottom