• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR color mixing + Cerakote review

freedom

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I ordered a receiver set from Sons of Liberty Gunworks and it came with a choice of cerakote included in the price. I've never had an AR that wasn't black and didn't want anything too showy, so I went with patriot brown. I think FDE is a little too light, and from looking a pics, patriot Brown was darker.

As an aside, quit using IG filters when taking pictures of cerakote jobs. It's not as dark as I hoped, and I'm blaming the filter junkies.

I sent my Geissele mk4 rail to @FatAlbert to kote. I got it today and wanting opinions on color mixing.

With FDE
IMG_1604.JPG

Black
IMG_1605.JPG

I don't have any other colored furniture, think a green would work well? The little bits, receiver extension and barrel are going to stay black

I'm kinda disappointed in the quality of Solgw's cerakote job. It looks like I've got a few grains of sand under the finish, unevenness, and a few bumps and handling marks. I'm not anal when it comes to finish, but it looks like a hobbyist job, not something a professional shop with Solgw's reputation would put out.
IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG

I'm very happy with the job Fatalbert at Hiland Arms did. I went over it with a fine tooth comb when I got home, and couldn't find a single thing to complain about. He really does do quality work. There are a ton of angles and recesses on the geissele rail, and everything in and out is perfectly smooth and even.
IMG_1608.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1607.JPG
    IMG_1607.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom