• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR different upper and lower

ruarch

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
2   0
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I'm new to the AR platform. Is it considered a good idea to have an upper and lower made by different manufacturers? Seems to me you could run into compatibility issues...

Thanks

Unless it's a Rock River AR-10 and maybe a couple of others that have proprietary upper and lower sets you shouldn't have any problems. They're all pretty much interchangeable.

It’s no so simple. Generally, the answer is yes but the buffer tube on the lower may have a buffer with an “incompatible” weight with the gas system on an upper. So, as long as…
1) the pins fit (ie older Colt’s had larger pins) and
2) you’re using the proper weight buffer respectively compatible with either a carbine, mid-length, or a rifle length gas system, you’ll be fine. Hell, even if they aren’t, you’ll “probably” be fine anyway…but learn your rifle. In other words, it may fit and it may function just fine, but it also may cycle a bit finicky. I used to swap uppers and lowers all the time regardless of gas systems and never had issues…but I also use to never wear a seatbelt either back in the 80’s so…

Back
Top Bottom