AR for deer, which caliber?

Powerhouse

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
18   0
Reaction score
The sudden urge hit me yesterday to set my AR up to hunt deer with. I know that the .223 is more than enough with proper placement, but I hunt the thick brushy stuff and prefer a heavier bullet. The three calibers I've looked at are 300 BO, 6.8 SPC and .458 SOCOM.

Looking at the load data I can find, the supersonic 300 shoots a very small bullet for the caliber. Also the higher you get in bullet weight the closer it gets to subsonic velocities, and I prefer a 165 in that caliber. Use the same mags, and bolt if needed in a pinch, as I have now.

The 6.8 data I found lists a 120 gr bullet ( I think I remember right ) as the max. If that is the case I would worry about deflections, I prefer a 140 but use nothing less than 130 in .277. With this I have to buy new mags.

The .458 would be ideal. Heavy bullet, use same mags, hit like a sledgehammer in a short, quick package. The only drawback I see is the ammo is expensive as hell.

Whichever one I did decide on it would be a dedicated upper, not just a barrel swap if I went with the 300 BO. And I know some folks will be rolling their eyes over magazines being a deciding factor, but you guys know the state of the mag market these days. I really, really like the .458, but have zero experience with any of them, help steer me the right way.

Lot's of guys having luck with .223 in Hornady TAP 75gn massive wound channels. 6.8 is a bad ass and you can use your factory mags, you can change the followers but it's not really needed. .300 is a still a 30 cal weapon and should not be discounted.
My opinion would be to go with the 6.8, you can use a 30 cal can in the future if you want to go suppressed. (*Assuming Georgia passes that law*)

Don't hate it. It's just not a consideration for this project. I'm wanting to use my existing 5.56 lower, which I understand will not accept a cartridge with the dimensions the .308 has.

Don't hate it. It's just not a consideration for this project. I'm wanting to use my existing 5.56 lower, which I understand will not accept a cartridge with the dimensions the .308 has.
Roger that. Okay, take a look at the numbers for the 300. You might be surprised.

25 wssm

Well, it at least looks like an interesting option. $$$ for the upper though.

I use 6.8, but only carry it when after hogs. 115 grain bullets are plenty. 20 or 30 more grains of bullet aren't going to help much with deflection. I mostly carry a .25-06 bolt gun, shooting a 115 grain Berger and haven't had to track anything further than 20 yards in a couple years. You can use 5.56 magazines to shoot 6.8 and they seem to feed fine as long as you don't fill the magazine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom