• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AR lowers - all the same?

ForestGnome

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
29   0
Reaction score
I really want a piston AR-15, but they are mucho expensive. So I think I will Get a DI AR and then switch out the upper reciever later down the road when I save up money.

I know most of the technology and quality differences between brands are in the upper recievers, such as the barrel, bolt, all that stuff. But what about lowers? Would a lower from a Bushmaster or M&P be of similar quality to a lower from Colt or Noveske or other super high end brand? After all, it's just an annodized aluminum part. I'm specificially talking about this one part, not the buttstock or grip or other easily replaceable part.

So, for just the serialized stripped lower... are all brand's quality the same?

There are I think its 3 different companies that produce the forged lower blank ..... from there its off to the different companies for final finishing. Basically pick a roll mark and a finish that you like and a lower in your price range and buy it.

for the most part yes, polymer lowers not included obviously. as clarence said just pick one with the rollmark and finsih you like. but dont spend too much money on one if you dont care about the roll mark. there isnt much reason to spend more than 100-120 for a lower if you dont care what picture is on it.

Agree with the other posts but some are just cool and I think are worth the extra $$$.

For $250 get a Seekins, it's next on my list!

seekins2-600x400.jpg

Agree with the other posts but some are just cool and I think are worth the extra $$$.

For $250 get a Seekins, it's next on my list!

View attachment 142714

I like the Seekins but be forwarned that that the newest 3rd Generation Pmags are not compatible with the Seekins lower without modifications. The new pmags have an over insertion stop on the back of the mag that will keep the mag from going too deep. The profile of the magwell where it meets the trigger guard on the Seekins wont allow a new pmag to seat at all ..... you can file off the tab on the mag and it will work fine. But without modification it wont work.

The manufacturers of forged/billet lowers and the companies who apply their respective roll marks. There may be additions, just the ones I remember off hand. Keep in mind each company purchases the forged/billet blanks and then machines them to their own specifications. They will be similar, but not the same, therefore all lowers are not created equal

Lewis Machine & Tool
•LMT
•Lauer
•DS Arms
•PWA
•Eagle
•Armalite
•Knights Armament
•Barrett

Continental Machine Tool
•Stag
•Rock River Arms
•High Standard
•Noveske
•Century (New)
•Global Tactical
•CLE
•S&W
•MGI
•Wilson Tactical
•Grenadier Precision
•Colt

LAR Manufacturing
•LAR
•Bushmaster
•Ameetec
•DPMS
•CMMG
•Double Star
•Fulton Armory
•Spike's Tactical

JVP
•Double Star
•LRB
•Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop
•Mega
•GSE
•Dalphon
•POF
•Alexander Arms

Olympic
•Olympic
•SGW
•Tromix
•Palmetto
•Dalphon
•Frankford
•Century (Old)

Sun Devil
•Sun Devil forged billet receivers

Superior
•Superior Arms
•Lauer (New)

Aero Precision
•Aero Precision
•Surplus Ammo and Arms
•Palmetto State Armory

any company can say that they have a mil spec lower however if the company has been through military testing and development and has passed take and then say that their stuff is mil spec otherwise they just say that it is and it is not.
your or 2 company names that I can give you that I know for sure that R milspec that we do see within the United States Army and Marine Corps as a whole what is Colt any other 1 is FNH . both of these companies produce the m16 a2 the m16 a3 the m16 a4 in the m4 carbine.

Back
Top Bottom