• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR optics: Nikon,Bushnell or Vortex?

Powerhouse

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
18   0
Reaction score
Finally decided to put a scope on my AR but can't decide which. First of all, I don't want any tactical operator illuminated range finding stuff, just a solid 3X9X40 scope. I've narrowed it down a bit, but really am not sure which to get, so I'm asking for any experience you have.

Nikon P-223 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/918271/nikon-p-223-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-bdc-600-reticle-matte. I have read good things about these scopes, but have never looked through one. I do own a Nikon Prostaff and have been very disappointed with it, considering all the great reviews it gets.

Bushnell AR-223 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/92...mm-side-focus-drop-zone-223-bdc-reticle-matte. I am giving this one a very hard look. No experience with it either, and apparently it is fairly new so there are few reviews on-line for it. I do have an Elite 4200 on my hunting rifle and it is awesome. I don't expect the glass on this to be the same as an Elite model, but if it's close...

Vortex Diamondback http://www.midwayusa.com/product/310371/vortex-diamondback-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-plex-reticle-matte. I have never laid eyes on any Vortex products but they are getting rave reviews, and a trusted friend has recommended them.

The purpose of this scope would be for hunting, so of course water/fog/shock proofing is a must. The BDC reticle is no necessary, but not entirely a deal breaker. The main question of my post is light transmission, which one is best? I do know that Nikon advertises "up to 98% light transmission" on their scopes, but my experience with the one product of theirs I own has me doubting their honesty. I do have experience with Bushnell, the 4200 is hands down the best scope I've ever used. I used their entry level Sportview series for years and was never let down, I feel comfortable with them. Vortex is a company I hear a lot about, but know nothing of their products. I've also considered a Swift, my son has one and loves it.

So come on guys, which do you recommend? I'm taking a month off from hunting, and want to set this rifle up so I can hunt coyote with it.

Bushnell AR is heavy... nikon p-223 is the low end. I would go with m-223. Vortex are nice. I picked up a burris mtac 1-4 cqb illuminated bdc recticle and really like it.

Bushnell AR is heavy... nikon p-223 is the low end. I would go with m-223. Vortex are nice. I picked up a burris mtac 1-4 cqb illuminated bdc recticle and really like it.

I love Vortex optics. I have a StrikeFire and Viper PST and love them both.

I picked up a Burris SkullTac (MTAC with skull graphics) last week and took out on Monday and love it too!

I just picked up a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 for my AR. Very clear optics and holds a zero very well. I have it mounted in a Burris PEPR mount.

I had a nikon P223 on a 308 and for the money it was nice. Clear all the mag range, it lived in a m223 mount.

Back
Top Bottom