• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR15 help

Had the exact same problem with one. Gas block was mounted crooked on the carrier. Loosened it up, straightened it out and staked it back down. Right as rain after that.

I'd be surprised if it was anything else but your gas tube. I've seen exactly what you're describing and checked everything we could think of. Different BCGs, bolts, charging handles, swapped lowers... Turns out the gas tube was protruding into the upper receiver a little too far causing it to get stuck in the gas key.

Gas tube alignment issue. Cycle the bcg and before dryfiring tap of the forward assist a couple of times then check if it is stuck.if The gas tube is misaligned the force from the forward assist should cause the BCG to bind.

I know you're getting it resolved, but a buddy came over yesterday with his new AR 5.56 pistol build that was doing the same thing. He bought the upper from 22mods4all for $209, a very cheap upper. The BCG was a fail zero bcg that was on sale for $100 a couple weeks ago. He had the same problem, sometimes when the bcg did close all the way it was really hard to get it to return back with charging handle and when shooting, it sometimes didn't chamber a round. We stripped it down to remove the gas tube. The gas tube mushroom end mic'd at .080 or so and had a burr on it. It also would bind when going into the gas key on the bcg, we tried 2 bcg's as well, both were the same. Turning it by hand in 220 grit sandpaper cleaned it up and it now reads .0785. It then moved freely in and out of the gas key, when reassembled the bcg moved slick as snot with no binding. If you're going to buy a cheap upper like that, just figure you are buying a "KIT" you are going to have to tweak to make work properly.

Yea, I hear ya. Could probably fix but this all new stuff so feel like it should work. Funny how another cheap BCG works perfect in my new upper. It opens and closes all day long just like it should until you dry fire, then it is stuck. Never had a gun you had to bang on the ground to get the upper back. Should be good to go soon. I don't spend a ton of money on guns, but any advice on new BCG? Midway USA DPMS? full auto? matter, couldn't afford the ammo, but wondered if that made it more robust. Oh and this BCG is for my first 300 Blackout. I will be shooitng subsonic and normal rounds which is probably the next issue I'll have. Order my suppressor about 20 years ago, not sure where the damn thing is with paperwork. Got 1 in 5 months, crickets on my other 2.

Any PSA 5.56 bcg or one from Aimsurplus should work fine. Failzero is a brand name, supposedly higher quality, I found one on sale for $100 for my bud, but they are currently listed as on sale for $130 elsewhere. I have a PSA upper that came complete with their brand of bcg and I'm very happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom