• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR500 on craigslist update with range test

acmech

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
0   0
Reaction score
Yesterday RamRoddoc and I went to Austell and bought some AR500 steel, at least I hope thats what it is! The seller buys it at government auctions where they are selling demilled armor from Humvees. Anyhow, look for a guy on craigslist selling pieces of it for $30 a piece in Atlanta/Craigslist. We each bought about 10 pieces and got some nice stuff.
Once I get some range time I'm going to test it with 5.56 SS109 and my 308. I got about 5 pieces of 1/4 inch thick and 6 of 3/8s thick and its all big stuff (at least 10 inches wide and 12 inches high) plus some scraps the seller tossed in. If the 1/4 thick pieces stop SS109 and standard 308 I might even make some plates for a plate carrier who knows but it's gonna be fun to play with anyhow at the price we paid. If the 3/8 thick pieces stop AP rounds I might cut a plate or two for a carrier.

Also, since it's Valentines, I didn't forget about the wife either, hope she likes it! What do you guys think?

I'll be able to use it for rifle targets or as armor plates in a plate carrier once an anti spall coating is added.

I shot a 3/8 thick piece of AR500 and a 3/8 thick piece of mild steel for comparison. Ammo used was 5.56 SS109 green tip, Wolf 7.62x39 FMJ (steel jacket) and some old Lake City 308 also using a steel jacket. The results were impressive. The only thing that put a mark on the AR500 was the SS109.

20170214_104620.jpg

20170214_130215.jpg

20170221_104851.jpg

20170221_105000.jpg

:tape2:
Yesterday RamRoddoc and I went to Austell and bought some AR500 steel, at least I hope thats what it is! The seller buys it at government auctions where they are selling demilled armor from Humvees. Anyhow, look for a guy on craigslist selling pieces of it for $30 a piece in Atlanta/Craigslist. We each bought about 10 pieces and got some nice stuff.
Once I get some range time I'm going to test it with 5.56 SS109 and my 308. I got about 5 pieces of 1/4 inch thick and 6 of 3/8s thick and its all big stuff (at least 10 inches wide and 12 inches high) plus some scraps the seller tossed in. If the 1/4 thick pieces stop SS109 and standard 308 I might even make some plates for a plate carrier who knows but it's gonna be fun to play with anyhow at the price we paid. If the 3/8 thick pieces stop AP rounds I might cut a plate or two for a carrier.

Also, since it's Valentines, I didn't forget about the wife either, hope she likes it! What do you guys think?

View attachment 1063659

View attachment 1063660
That's the guy I sold my dump truck bed to

So.... You are going to end up shooting at that after you put her name on it...?

My wife would absolutely take that the wrong way.... Especially on
Valentine 's Day...

Does your wife have her CCW?..... Mine does and this would not end well at my house......

View attachment 1063659

View attachment 1063660

I have heard the term "silver tongued devil" but you invented "army green steel plate tongued devil". How romantic.:love_heart:

So.... You are going to end up shooting at that after you put her name on it...?

My wife would absolutely take that the wrong way.... Especially on
Valentine 's Day...

Does your wife have her CCW?..... Mine does and this would not end well at my house......

She made me put it by the fireplace so everyone can see it. I thought she'd be mad...she likes it. Gotta love that woman!

Back
Top Bottom