• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Are j-frames really useless?

I pocket carry and there’s always a trade off of easy of carry and shoot ability. For example, LCPs carry great but shoot like crap (for me). A Shield shoots great but is too big and square in the pocket.

The only gun I’ve found that carries as well and I shoot better than a J-frame is the Kahr CM9. That being said, there’s a 442 in my pocket right now and it just feels right.

Try to sneak in to my house at night and find out if they are useless or not.
Out of all the guns you have the ability to keep in a house sized structure, why would you choose a J frame revolver? I'm no retired operator with a part time mall ninja job but, as a normal guy that occasionally shoots it seems to me there are better options.

I pocket carry and there’s always a trade off of easy of carry and shoot ability. For example, LCPs carry great but shoot like crap (for me). A Shield shoots great but is too big and square in the pocket.

The only gun I’ve found that carries as well and I shoot better than a J-frame is the Kahr CM9. That being said, there’s a 442 in my pocket right now and it just feels right.
Sig 365 fits the bill well and 11 rounds.

Sounds like most LEOs I've met. I'm sure if he was in an active situation and the only available gun was a J-frame, he would pick it up. Or maybe he would say IT'S USELESS and run away. Is he from Uvalde? lol

There's no such thing as a useless firearm, unless it doesn't shoot. And even then, you can either scare them or beat them with it. lol

Sounds like most LEOs I've met. I'm sure if he was in an active situation and the only available gun was a J-frame, he would pick it up. Or maybe he would say IT'S USELESS and run away. Is he from Uvalde? lol

There's no such thing as a useless firearm, unless it doesn't shoot. And even then, you can either scare them or beat them with it. lol

Well I won’t say useless but for those of us living in the 21st century I’d say there are far better options.

It seems I remember Tim at Military Arms Channel doing a video comparing pocket revolvers to modern semiautos and found a .357 out of a snub revolver was pretty much on par with a 9mm coming from a somewhat equally sized gun. Didn’t start seeing a real difference until the guns got a little bigger, then obviously the .357 became a rockstar. But even then I’ll take 10-12+ rounds of a little weaker 9mm over 5-6 of .357 99.5/100 times

I had a beef with this one instructor who was former LE. I'll admit this individual was a giant douchebag and disrespectful saying .38 j-frames are useless. I don't know about y'all but my shooting at 7 yards isn't the best, but I can confidently shoot my 642 and take out a bad guy. I like my Glocks , m&p, and 1911, but j-frames are serviceable and accurate as long as you practice.
I’m selling alot of my stuff but you won’t see my lcr 357 after listening to J. Miculek on the rouge nation podcast. “Electric windows are great until they break same as the internet until the satellite goes down. Simple is just better”. The precision of today’s cylinder lining up to a fixed barrel he says is amazing. He’s shot eveything ever made & still carries a 357 magnum.

Back
Top Bottom