• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any real Army Navy surplus stores anymore.

steve s&w

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
38   0
Reaction score
I went to two today that I used to go to when I was younger. Both of them were full of name brand crap and not any real surplus stuff. I just had to leave, very disappointing.

The guys at the Army/Navy store off of Hwy 41 told me that post 9/11 the govt changed the rules pertaining to surplus goods being passed along to the general public. So,"true" military surplus items would be difficult to come by. Said the concern was a person/group obtaining legit uniforms/gear and impersonating military personnel, getting into sensitive areas, blah blah....

If that is the case why do they still put forward the advertisement and signage that says they are Army/Navy surplus stores. Just ticks me off. Sorry for ranting, long day of disappointing shopping.

Totally understand. My dad was an Army MP, so I grew up wearing surplus gear. Last time I went to a "surplus" store, it was cheapo import stuff. I, too, left disappointed.

Ha, I remember As a kid going into A/N stores in the 60's with tons of WWII stuff. The smell of musty canvas is still one of the best smells I can remember in life. In early 2000 I was allowed (by an employee, not the owner) to scrounge through the upstairs storage area of the A/N store in downtown ATL and uncovered a few treasures that had been up there for many, many years and got them for cheap, the sales person who let me go up there thought old stuff was not worth much LOL, I got a lot of good stuff cheap. No, they don't make 'em like they use to.

The guys at the Army/Navy store off of Hwy 41 told me that post 9/11 the govt changed the rules pertaining to surplus goods being passed along to the general public. So,"true" military surplus items would be difficult to come by. Said the concern was a person/group obtaining legit uniforms/gear and impersonating military personnel, getting into sensitive areas, blah blah....

Well maybe explains their crappy selection at all the surplus stores.

I went to two today that I used to go to when I was younger. Both of them were full of name brand crap and not any real surplus stuff. I just had to leave, very disappointing.
Okay I'm from middle GA so it's hard for me to tell you directions. Back in October I delivered bamboo plants to a place called Buck Jones Nursery. Google them and their address. I say this because at the end of the same road they are on is a place that I believe is called the Military Depot. You WILL know when you get there. It's an old house with chain link fence on one side. Inside this fence is everything from old Wyllis style Jeeps to a Vietnam era helicopter. There is a towing outfit next door that I believe is owned by the same people. These guys have the real government issue goods. But it's not cheap. I left one of our cards with them and asked if they would sell us BDUs ACUs or whatever they're called now."Pants" basically. Flat out no. They had no interest in selling us wholesale goods even with us being over 100 miles from their store. And pants are probably the hardest things to find.
Everyone that is in the surplus business these days is on a site called governmentliquidations.com. You have to bid on entire lots of goods there and it's kinda sketchy on what you're getting.

Back
Top Bottom