• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are we alone/weird theories/universe (mega?)Thread

Are we alone in our universe?

• Yes

• No

• Shut up, no one cares.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I believe. I have had a question for some time that I can't wrap my head around. They say our universe is ever expanding. If so, into what?
Theoretically, into nothing. The concept that the universe is ever expanding is pretty difficult, because we can't see to the edge of the universe, therefore it stands to reason that reaching the edge then going further due to expansion is impossible.

The reason scientists believe that the universe is expanding is because they are watching the galaxies, and they are able to see the galaxies getting further away from each other. This is where the theory of "The Big Rip" comes from. We have all heard of "The Big Bang," but "The Big Rip" is what many scientists believe will cause the death of our universe. It states that the universe will continue to expand "forever" (remember, "forever" is a relative term that cannot be quantified, therefore it is more of an abstract measure of time than a tangible one...then again, time itself is abstract and relative, but I digress), until our universe is one big cold barren wasteland, with no planets orbiting stars, no gravity, no life. It's actually pretty fascinating. Not that we'll be around to see it of course, given that it won't happen for another 5-10 trillion years. We have much more immediate issues, such as the sun expanding into a red giant in 5 billion years :). Anyway, it's an interesting concept that I don't want to look like a know-it-all stuckup narcissistic douchebag, but these things do interest me, so I've done my research.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom