• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are you going to be physically able to survive?

What people don't consider along with the physical part is the mental part. There's guys on youtube doing backyard training and "run n guns" in the desert with tac gear and whatnot preparing for " WROL ". The mental aspect of actually being shot at and shooting back is one that I can only make one comparison with:

I used to play tournament paintball, very high speed, guns that would shoot a constant 15-23 balls per second, fields were 150x100ft or somewhere about there, some smaller, with air bunkers, usually 5v5. Now, working at a store/field for 6-7 years showed me a lot of things about fear and people and how training fixes this.

Exhibit A: When a group of people for a birthday, church, office fun day etc. show up, they are very excited in the car. Once they put on their gear load up, and walk on to the field, they begin to get somewhat nervous. Keep in mind, for as long as they knew they were coming to play, they dreamed of running down the field lighting people up and doing all kinds of brave stuff. 3...2...1... GOGOGOGO. 90% of the people stay at the first bunkers ( the bunkers are in 5-10 yard increments), they fire 5-10 rounds off the break, then decide to try and burrow themselves deeper in the bunker as the rounds fly at them. They freeze, panic, don't communicate, every man for himself, some just surrender. Remember, this is paintball, much quieter and MUCH safer than a firefight with rifles.

Exhibit B: When we ( teammates and I who worked there) would decide to go play a little after work with the groups, we'd always use the rentals and not our rolls royce guns to make it more fair. Keep in mind, some of the walk ons/party group members have played before, have their own guns, and have a basic understanding of the game. We would usually do Myself, 1-3 others with rentals vs 10-15, sometimes 20 if we were feeling lucky. We don't panic, we don't freeze, we never got confused, and ALWAYS communicated constantly about any changes and to progress our strategy. We knew exactly how to work an opponent with no experience, and ones with. These rounds would usually last no more than 3-5 minutes. Why? Because we had legitimate training and experience, and a LOT of it, every weekend, every week. Period.

Point is, guns and ammo along with flashy gear won't make you survive better if you don't have the right knowledge to employ it correctly. To think you and your new $3500 AR-15 setup are going to stand a fighting chance against someone who has been in dozens of battles, them being armed with an, I dunno, .17HMR or a rusty old AK, is just foolish.

If you want to learn about fighting a gun battle and plan on employing these methods, join the military or LEO, otherwise your putting on some nice pads and trying to play in the NFL.

Last edited:
When it happens you look at your preparations and play the hand you've been dealt. It's hard to stockpile meds. The time to investigate alternatives to your meds (find out if there is any and what they are) is now while everything is running normally. Do the best you can.

We try to be prepared for anything as much as possible around here and I do like to share my thoughts and concerns on "survival" and "SHTF".
I think the biggest advantage to being as prepared as possible is the fact that you have confidence that you can survive.
If I had one saying that I believe in to my core it is this:
NEVER LIE TO YOURSELF.
With my age, weight and health I am under no illusions. I won't be traipsing up and down the mountains for miles. I am not laying out plans to 'head to the north georgia mountains' where I'll go all "daniel boone" and live off the land. I own no property there and know of no one around here that has any. And I'll bet money that the people who live there are not going to welcome a tidal wave of people escaping the city to live off the land. One man's refugee is another man's squatter.
Two or three 'hundred yard dashes' with or without any gear will take it's toll on this old man. I'm active and on my feet 12 hours a day moving. I am not an invalid by any stretch but I am dang sure not "Mr Total Fitness". I am just honest with myself.
I like to think that I can defend myself. I know how to properly use my firearms. I am not a bad shot. But there is a huge difference in shredding a piece of paper and really having to defend yourself in a life or death situation. I harbor no illusions there. I will do the best I can.

I do think there is a lot of validity in the 'getting skinny' comments above. A protracted interruption of life as we know it will force us to change habits. We'll have to eat less and work harder just for comfort, shelter and food. Many border line people with BP problems or borderline diabetics stand a real possibility of improved health in these areas as the pounds come off.

The more prepared we are the more confidence we have to survive what ever disaster comes down the pike. But during those preparations, BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF.
If you are in borderline health and realistically can't hump a hundred pound pack through the mountains, don't include it in your plan. Talking about it is one thing. Having the gear is another. Strapping it on and doing it is quite another.
I have a bugout bag in the vehicle. I have a load bearing setup for defense at home. That is inside my scope of planning and physical capabilities.
I don't have pack for each family member to hump through the mountains, because that is way outside of our scope. I know myself and I know them so it's not going to happen.
If you have plenty of money then having a pack for everyone in the family does not hurt anything--even if you won't ever use them you've got barter goods.
I have a family and don't have 'extra' cash to lay up stuff.
That's part of being honest with yourself. DON'T WASTE MONEY ON STUFF YOU CAN'T USE. Don't spend money (that you don't have) on unrealistic prep. Spend that money on real preparation items that you can use.

The best thing that we could all do is start getting into shape now, shed some pounds and tone up. Those of us with any health issues or use maintenance meds should be consulting now with our doctors to see if we can get any 'extras'. If you tell the doc you are preparing for SHTF, you've probably hit a brick wall.
You tell the doc that you remember the floods of 94 and the Mother's day tornadoes of a few years ago (in Macon anyway) and you'd like to have a few extra doses (couple weeks or a month) on hand in case of an emergency or disaster.

But barring this, prep as best you can and be honest with yourself in your preparations. Your health status and physical capabilities should be in the forefront of your planning.

While you still can, get dental check ups, physical and eye exams. If you need the dental work or medical procedure, "git 'er done". Get some spare glasses. Being in good shape and good health will pay dividends untold when the long brown hits the whirling blades.

Personally, I am glad I am skinny, in good physical condition, and require no medications. Many folks overlook the neccesity of being in good physical condition.

What people don't consider along with the physical part is the mental part. There's guys on youtube doing backyard training and "run n guns" in the desert with tac gear and whatnot preparing for " WROL ". The mental aspect of actually being shot at and shooting back is one that I can only make one comparison with:

I used to play tournament paintball, very high speed, guns that would shoot a constant 15-23 balls per second, fields were 150x100ft or somewhere about there, some smaller, with air bunkers, usually 5v5. Now, working at a store/field for 6-7 years showed me a lot of things about fear and people and how training fixes this.

Exhibit A: When a group of people for a birthday, church, office fun day etc. show up, they are very excited in the car. Once they put on their gear load up, and walk on to the field, they begin to get somewhat nervous. Keep in mind, for as long as they knew they were coming to play, they dreamed of running down the field lighting people up and doing all kinds of brave stuff. 3...2...1... GOGOGOGO. 90% of the people stay at the first bunkers ( the bunkers are in 5-10 yard increments), they fire 5-10 rounds off the break, then decide to try and burrow themselves deeper in the bunker as the rounds fly at them. They freeze, panic, don't communicate, every man for himself, some just surrender. Remember, this is paintball, much quieter and MUCH safer than a firefight with rifles.

Exhibit B: When we ( teammates and I who worked there) would decide to go play a little after work with the groups, we'd always use the rentals and not our rolls royce guns to make it more fair. Keep in mind, some of the walk ons/party group members have played before, have their own guns, and have a basic understanding of the game. We would usually do Myself, 1-3 others with rentals vs 10-15, sometimes 20 if we were feeling lucky. We don't panic, we don't freeze, we never got confused, and ALWAYS communicated constantly about any changes and to progress our strategy. We knew exactly how to work an opponent with no experience, and ones with. These rounds would usually last no more than 3-5 minutes. Why? Because we had legitimate training and experience, and a LOT of it, every weekend, every week. Period.

Point is, guns and ammo along with flashy gear won't make you survive better if you don't have the right knowledge to employ it correctly. To think you and your new $3500 AR-15 setup are going to stand a fighting chance against someone who has been in dozens of battles, them being armed with an, I dunno, .17HMR or a rusty old AK, is just foolish.

If you want to learn about fighting a gun battle and plan on employing these methods, join the military or LEO, otherwise your putting on some nice pads and trying to play in the NFL.

To paraphrase... you dont know crap until you step in it?... just pokin at ya...

Back
Top Bottom