• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are you learning any skills to help survive after SHT??

Liquor.

Learn to distill liquor. If everything ever does collapse it will be one thing that can be easily bartered and can be used as antiseptic...

I've got a total nut job buddy that spent a good bit of time in Laos when we weren't there so to speak, I think that's the most useful thing he's ever said to me...

Problem I have with this is that we are at the point where making liquor is a good idea, then the corn and sugar will be more valuable as food than booze. My other thought on this is that you can buy liqour pretty cheap right now. A couple of gallons of Everclear stored in glass bottles would last a lifetime for the majority of folks.

I am also not real keen on the idea of bartering in intoxicants or weapons.

If you haven't seen them, the Foxfire books are packed with old school country living information. Log cabin building, hide tanning, etc...
Shelter, food, and first aid were the first three things i learned how to take care of while living in harsh times.
I spend a lot of my time putting mangled bodies back together, and assisting with autopsies. Learning to suture is a great skill, and
has come in handy many times since i left school.

dlsbiker...I like your idea of an informal meet up to swap skills, so to speak. It helps to have friends for cooperative efforts should the need arise.

In the past few years I've learned enough in carpentry to build a decent house, enough in plumbing to plumb a house, I'm a machinist, I raised a garden and learned a lot about it this year, learned to ride a motorcycle.

I learned to make myself applicable to most any situation. There was a reason guys used to be "Jacks of all trades".

My father in law was a moonshiner. He also hunted Ginseng as much as he hunted deer. He's got some more to teach me.

On liquor- I'll agree to some extent. It will sell because when things are bad some people want to get drunk. Otherwise, it's a good source of fuel.

There are some things that I think are handy to know how to do, even if they're not legal right now. Poaching, while I don't advocate, could come down to a means of survival. Trot lines and gill nets would be a good thing to KNOW HOW to use, even if you don't practice it right now. The indians used fish traps on the Etowah so they didn't have to waste a day trying to catch them by other means.

One thing I think a lot miss is the need to be physically fit enough to survive- not fit enough to fight a battle, but fit enough to be able to till land with a pick and shovel in a few days, fit enough to hike a few miles hunting a quarter a deer and bring it home.

dlsbiker...I like your idea of an informal meet up to swap skills, so to speak. It helps to have friends for cooperative efforts should the need arise.
Everyone that posts are so scattered.In time of need you need contacts North central south and means to communicate.Anyone wanting to do the thing n of Atlanta say,Gainesville.I'm in we can let the guys from macon do one, around Valdosta one and compare on line then plan a big reundovous once or every 2 years.You CAN NOT go it alone.Yeah I spelled reun.... wrong.

Everyone that posts are so scattered.In time of need you need contacts North central south and means to communicate.Anyone wanting to do the thing n of Atlanta say,Gainesville.I'm in we can let the guys from macon do one, around Valdosta one and compare on line then plan a big reundovous once or every 2 years.You CAN NOT go it alone.Yeah I spelled reun.... wrong.

This.

I'm game on assisting with planning.

Liquor.

Learn to distill liquor. If everything ever does collapse it will be one thing that can be easily bartered and can be used as antiseptic...

I've got a total nut job buddy that spent a good bit of time in Laos when we weren't there so to speak, I think that's the most useful thing he's ever said to me...

That's a good idea.....the medical value of it would far out weigh the recreational value. A good old moonshine steel would be very useful.

I have trapping and tanning hides without chemicals. You know, Indian style.

Also working on map reading and hiking the Pinhoti this fall.

Stinky brains......works pretty good though...lol!

Back
Top Bottom