Are you that guys?

Smoke 'em if you got 'em. I quit but I will decide if I start again. Not some
do gooder who could and should mind their own business. Yeah I know ' it's bad for you' . The op was being respectful , the others weren't being respectful they were 'crusaders'. They should pick something more important . Ain't none of us getting out of here alive,in body anyway.

I think pollen is worse than second hand smoke!

I'm not a smoker but my parents smoked for the first 14 years of my life. Last I checked, no cancer and it would have been impossible to avoid all of that smoke!

They've long since quit and except for my father's diabetes, they're doing pretty well.

Bear, is this just lies? http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/tobaccocancer/secondhand-smoke (Forget any conjecture or modeling assumptions, just the obvious over riding conclusion). If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd assume they'd want LESS people to know about causes. I understand the WHO's study showed 'only' a 16% increase in lung cancer cases amongst those subjected to 2nd hand smoke.
These may be updated and correct findings to the two WHO reports from about 15 years ago. However, I find it interesting that the only actual statistic this report offers is:

"IARC reported in 2009 that parents who smoked before and during pregnancy were more likely to have a child with hepatoblastoma. This rare liver cancer is thought to start while the child is still in the uterus. Compared with non-smoking parents, the risk was about twice as high if only one parent smoked, but nearly 5 times higher when both parents smoked."

Everything else are statements that do not offer supporting evidence and much of it is clearly conjecture. Why no clear evidentiary proof other than this one statement? Which, by the way, does not concern second hand smoke.

My father in law is,on oxygen with emphysema.

He still friggin smokes.

Yeah I've seen this too. Another friend or mine had (past tense) a mother who would breathe the oxygen, then light up. IMO, nicotine is the most addicting drug in the world. I should know. I've been dipping 24 years.

I guess like any drug if affects people in different ways. On the way back from the hospital when I was born my father looked at me in my mother's lap (car seats? Pffft....) and said "I'm done". Put his cigarette out and that was it. Never smoked another one. He had been smoking for 25 years, 2 pack filterless camel guy. I asked him one time how he did it. He just looked at me with a barely perceptible reflective smile and said "It was easy." I 'sort of' understood. But didn't REALLY understand until my son was born. He made it to one day after his 76th birthday before the leukemia got him. I'll be forever crushed he didn't get to meet his grandson.....

Back
Top Bottom