• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Army Marksmanship Unit match grade ammo requirements for 6.8x51mm

I did a little reading about it it sounds like it might be the replacement for the 5.56 since they were talking about weight differences and recoil differences and all that kind of info.

Let's not forget that for us filthy casuals, the .277 Fury is available only in an all-brass "non-hybrid" case with a lower muzzle velocity and (currently) a 135gr FMJ bullet.

Let's not forget that for us filthy casuals, the .277 Fury is available only in an all-brass "non-hybrid" case with a lower muzzle velocity and (currently) a 135gr FMJ bullet.
Filthy casuals! 🤣
It doesn't seem very practical considering the recoil is almost 13 lb more and on full Auto it looks to be uncontrollable. For a general purpose machine gun it might be a decent idea but I just don't see the the massive advantage over the 7.62×51. I might be slightly biased because I love the cartridge but I think it would be much more sensible to take another look at the 6.8 SPC ll. You still get the savings in weight of ammo advantage and also increased power and range capability. Also considering the speed of the round on full Auto would eat up a barrel for fairly quickly. I don't know I guess it just seems more logical to take the existing platform and change out the barrel, bolt and mag. But since when does the government make cost-effective decisions.

The idea is that .277 Fury > 7mm08 > .308

A round that stays 'flat' another couple hundred yards is useful on the battlefield. And it's your money they're spending.

AMU shoots in competition to market the Army "brand" - they were at big 2 day PRS match this weekend and AMU shooter won among the best PRS competitors in US. Doubt he was shooting 277 Fury; however, I am sure there are other events where AMU may choose to shoot 277 Fury as "proof of concept", "research", and "sales" for new Army cartridge.

I think 277 Fury exists to better defeat modern body armor at distance as US war plans rotate from "war on terror" to peer/near peer threats aka China and Russia.

Truth is out of millions of uniformed military, very few get in harms way to shoot at enemy. Every Soldier and Marine does not need the latest/greatest rifle/ammo/optic - just enough for the Infantry, Cav, Combat Engineers plus Special Operations. Other 95% of uniformed personnel will be well served with a M4ish.

Is this going to replace one of the current cartridges in use? The .308 would be the obvious cartridge since added weight would rule out replacing the intermediate round. Or is this just a match/sniper round being put out into circulation? It seems that replacing a Nato round would be a huge undertaking as far as replacing stock piles of the current caliber and swapping out all the rifles currently issued. I haven't really kept up on military arms development lately so I am in the dark on the subject. I had heard a 6.8 diameter round was being tossed around but not to what degree.

The 6.8x51mm is intended to replace both 5.56 and 7.62x51mm.

I don't know what the plans are for future use of 277 Fury - because we currently need to maintain ammo compatibility with other NATO members, but that aside, I'd expect that as adoption of 277 Fury grows, 7.62x51 declines.

It makes no sense having two calibers that are of almost identical form factor, but have no interoperability.

If that's true, at some point there's gonna be a monstrous glut of milspec ammo on the open market!
??@a
I will go buck freaking wild when that happens to the green tip stuff. Of course they will mark it down in increments to reel in the people that can't hold out. Hopefully they will dump it into the market place all at once at massive discounts. We can only hope!

Back
Top Bottom