• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Army accepts first batch of new rifles/ lmgs

I was studying the specs. Seems to me they're splitting hairs at an enormous cost.
Almost same recoil as a 308. Rifle weighs 1lb less. I'm not a big fan of 223, but.....I like 308, but they stopped using it because of weight and recoil......Granted the effective range and knock down are better then 223. But about the same as 308. 1lb is a big weight difference if you carry it all day. The ammo will be a little lighter. That's were the 223 is lighter all around. A real toss up. The only real advantage is the effective range. That may be everything
Effective range. This is the reason for the change. To extend effective killing range. Our boys were constantly being engaged from just outside of the 5.56 effective range. I have followed this development and my big concern is durability. This is a very high pressure round. I suspect there will be the same initial headaches one can expect from such pressure and unproven equipment. Remember the M-9 slides cracking on the first generation. Yes, I suspect this new round is going to be very hard on the gun, and the shooter.
I hope they have a pre intro spring and small part round count replacement PM. I would have liked to of seen all them equipped with interchangeable/replaceable crew/individual field change barrels.

I suspect the Russians should pay attention. The industrial Military Complex is going to need a live proving ground somewhere, and I doubt we'll go into China or Taiwan. But what the hell, the ****s already going off in the Uke.

Ironic, we need a "Live" proving ground to proof the effective kill capability of a new weapon.

Just my 2 cents and I want change.

Back
Top Bottom