• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Asking for identification

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We" want everyone to show ID to vote, but flinch at asking for an ID to buy a weapon. Odd, to me.
2A is a Constitutional Right. Anything requiring ID/paperwork is technically a violation of our rights but we just accept it. Voting is relegated to state law. And the states can ask for ID to prove residency. Completely different things.

2A is a Constitutional Right. Anything requiring ID/paperwork is technically a violation of our rights but we just accept it. Voting is relegated to state law. And the states can ask for ID to prove residency. Completely different things.
2A does not have any effect whatsoever on a citizen setting requirements to do business with another. It is in place to limit government power, not that of the citizen.

2A does not have any effect whatsoever on a citizen setting requirements to do business with another. It is in place to limit government power, not that of the citizen.
I am replying to a post comparing apples to oranges. I know what the 2A is, and what requirements each citizen can set when doing business with other members. If OP wants to require ID and 21 years old, that's his prerogative.

But the post I replied to made a point to say, ""We" want everyone to show ID to vote, but flinch at asking for an ID to buy a weapon. Odd, to me."

So not sure why you felt the need to explain that to me :lol:

I am replying to a post comparing apples to oranges. I know what the 2A is, and what requirements each citizen can set when doing business with other members. If OP wants to require ID and 21 years old, that's his prerogative.

But the post I replied to made a point to say, ""We" want everyone to show ID to vote, but flinch at asking for an ID to buy a weapon. Odd, to me."

So not sure why you felt the need to explain that to me :lol:
I don't know, maybe this line;
" Anything requiring ID/paperwork is technically a violation of our rights"

It's not.

What I said is fact.
Constitutional Rights are granted to citizens of the United States of America, by God, but called out to remind the Federal Government that they exist..
How do you know without ID, whether they have those rights?

What I said is fact.
Constitutional Rights are granted to citizens of the United States of America, by God, but called out to remind the Federal Government that they exist..
How do you know without ID, whether they have those rights?
The fact is, they are two different things. You should have and ID to vote, so you can prove residency in the area you are voting in. Voting has jurisdictions and proving ones residency and legality to vote is one thing. Otherwise anybody can walk in and vote, multiple times in multiple jurisdictions. Voter ID laws prevent that.

And again, a private citizen can impose whatever requirements they want to when selling/buying a firearm privately. I don't have to ask for or present squat if I don't want to.

The framers of the Constitution gave me my right to own a firearm, that's how I know I have those rights. And unless you're also running background checks on every person you trade with here, you don't know if they're a felon or not either. But as the law stands, I don't have to ask or know that info.

Do as you please when you sell your firearms, that's the beauty of it, we can do it differently.

Personally, anything more than a flash of my ID does not work for me when buying.
Yet, you can ask for whatever you like... just make sure to list it clearly in your ad!

I had a meet to buy with someone that did not post in ad such but then wanted a copy/photo of my ID and Carry Lic.
AH... that would be a NO! Yet, after a chat he sold it to me anyway... :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom