• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Asking price for spam can of 7N1 (7.62X54r sniper ammo)?

Critter Doc

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
42   0
Reaction score
I have an unopened spam can of 7N1 that I am considering selling. Any idea what it's worth these days? The can is sealed, and I can throw in an opener. I know it's scarce, but I'm not looking to gouge anyone - just want to know what a fair asking price would be. Joke replies will be ignored.

Attachments

• 7NI spam can - Copy.jpg
    7NI spam can - Copy.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 38
Hayata, I don't have much info beyond what's on the can! From the Wikipedia listing (take it for what it's worth):

Sniper rounds​

To increase accuracy for the Dragunov SVD, the Soviets developed the 7N1 variant of the cartridge in 1966. The 7N1 was developed by V. M. Sabelnikov, P. P. Sazonov and V. M. Dvorianinov. It used match-grade extruded powder instead of the coarser ball propellant and had a 9.8 g (151.2 gr) boat-tailed FMJ jacketed projectile with an air pocket, a steel core and a lead knocker in the base for maximum terminal effect. It had a ballistic coefficient (G1 BC) of approximately 0.411 and (G7 BC) of approximately 0.206. Produced by "Factory 188" (Novosibirsk Low Voltage Equipment Plant), cartridges are only head-stamped with the number "188" and the year of manufacture. It came packaged 20 loose rounds to a paper packet, 22 packets to a metal "spam" tin, and two tins per wooden case for a total of 880 rounds. The individual paper packets, hermetically sealed metal 'spam' cans, and wooden shipping crates were all distinctly marked Снайперская (Snaiperskaya, the adjective form of "sniper"). Even the wax wrapping paper for the paper packets was covered in red text to make sure it was not misused.[citation needed]

As hard body armor saw increasing use in militaries, the 7N1 was replaced in 1999 by the 7N14 special load developed for the SVD. The 7N14 round is loaded with a 9.8 g (151.2 gr) projectile containing a sharp hardened steel penetrator to improve penetration which is fired with an average muzzle velocity of 830 m/s (2,723 ft/s), for a muzzle energy of 3,375 J (2,489 ft⋅lbf).

A GB search of completed auctions shows only one can up for bid and that sold for $892. There were a couple of ads for an unopened crate (2 cans) where the ooening bid was $1600 but there were no takers

Whoa, when I posted on March 2nd they were hovering around 3 per tin give or take a hundred. That's blowing my mind.

Back
Top Bottom