ATF is out there...and gasp, they are using less than ethical practices

chucklenut

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
362   0
Reaction score
I read this morning and have no doubt it's happening.

I have a 9mm I'm trying to sell and was at a gun show yesterday. Was sitting having a bite to eat and had the case open. A guy come up, looks at it and says it looks like what his friend is looking for. He calls his friend on the phone to tell him where I am, then walks away. His friend walks up, looks at the gun and says he likes it. He says he has a CCW, so no problem with the purchase.

Then he says he wants to look around a bit more. I suggest he look at a certain dealer's tables because I think they have the lowest prices in town. He leaves and a minute later a girl walks up by herself and says, "Yep, that's exactly what I what I'm looking for." I ask if she is with the second guy who walked up. She says yes and then I tell her I can't sell the gun to him if it's for her. I explain that it's known as a straw purchase and illegal. She says, "Oh no, it's for him."

She leaves and the second guy comes back. We negotiate a price and he whips out the old version of a CCW without a picture and, of all things, his passport. Passport, WTF? I don't give a dang where you've traveled. I ask if he has a GDL or other state government picture ID that shows he's a GA resident. He says this is all he has. I explain I can't sell him the gun unless I know for sure if he's a GA resident. He looks a little ticked off and walks away.

The whole thing stunk. If I'd taken his money:1. Someone would have walked up and snapped a set of cuffs on me. 2. Or, the cops would come knocking on my door down the road asking how my Taurus wound up in a shooting incident.3. Or, I would have wound up on some liberal news outlet with my face blurry as they bashed the "gun show loophole".

Yeah, they're out there and will do almost anything to trip you up.

Back
Top Bottom