• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Atlanta Pro Gun Rally 4/14 EDIT: Permit pulled, legal rally is off...

Yep. An occasional sight of someone toting an AR15 doesn't acclimatize a non-gunner, it just traumatizes them. And they vote.

No one is saying you can't open carry, we are just saying: be smart and try and work out what will communicate best to those who are not already 100% on our side.

(Remembering that this event will be communicated through the filter of a largely hostile cherry-picking media).

Look, the media is going to make of it what they will whether or not gun owners are on their best behavior. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised so many people on here honestly think that the antis will somehow get the message if we "act normal". Or maybe if we don't appear so scary, they'll change their minds. :wacko: As if they don't know who/what we're up against.

I'm not threatening belligerence or inciting a rebellion, but I am hoping to get approached by the media. I have something to say on the matter, and I think I know how to carry myself and communicate effectively. The way I see it, I'll be helping combat the media's unfavorable narrative of stereotypical gun-owners, but I understand people's hesitation as I have shared the same concerns in the past.

And if all else fails, yes, please talk to the avatar.
It's about time gun owners with a sane mind get a platform. The liberals have had one for long enough with plenty of news coverage to go around.

Look, the media is going to make of it what they will whether or not gun owners are on their best behavior. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised so many people on here honestly think that the antis will somehow get the message if we "act normal". Or maybe if we don't appear so scary, they'll change their minds. :wacko: As if they don't know who/what we're up against.

I'm not threatening belligerence or inciting a rebellion, but I am hoping to get approached by the media. I have something to say on the matter, and I think I know how to carry myself and communicate effectively. The way I see it, I'll be helping combat the media's unfavorable narrative of stereotypical gun-owners, but I understand people's hesitation as I have shared the same concerns in the past.

The flaw is in your premise. We are not trying to change an antis mind. We are trying to effect the view of the moderates and undecideds. Which are the large majority and biggest voting block.

Yep. An occasional sight of someone toting an AR15 doesn't acclimatize a non-gunner, it just traumatizes them. And they vote.

No one is saying you can't open carry, we are just saying: be smart and try and work out what will communicate best to those who are not already 100% on our side.

(Remembering that this event will be communicated through the filter of a largely hostile cherry-picking media).
That won't work. If the MSM doesn't get the quote they want, they'll just use the pictures of the "Crazy Guy" open carrying the "Assault Rifle".

I'm afraid it will only take a few people, who don't have a clue, to screw this up real bad. I almost wish it wouldn't even happen when I think about how 1 guy wearing a kit or AR slung over their back will be used to further the cause of banning that very weapon.

Rollingtrip is right too. Dress up a little. We are being judged. If you had a little girl going on a first date, would you feel secure about the guy coming to pick her up, meet daddy the first time, with a AR on his back.

Both could enjoy shooting later if done the right way from the start, but if he showed up to take my lil girl that way, she'd never be allowed to go.

I would instantly judge him a nut. But if he came up looking nice, we could probably visit the range together some time down the way.

I think the left is full of overly emotional non-thinkers, but sadly, we have some of the same in our camp as well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

FTFY. I think it would be a great event for a broad range of reasonably 'normal' looking people turned out to demonstrate that a lot of average Americans support the 2nd.

I'm concerned that 1 rambo could give the media all they need, or that a weapon gets fired.

Imagine if a gun goes off and hit's a bystander or anti gun protester ?

As John Wayne, "saying little is more." To the soccer moms whose dad had a gun, but they have never shot before, that AR is uncalled for, and your having it on your back while you speak will completely muffle her ears to your message.

I think crowds and crowds of normal family types, and well dressed people quietly taking a stand would say more to the nations majority who don't know where they stand. If they see us as normal, then they will feel better about us and more secure. People are afraid, why make them more so.

A gun on a guys back will never fly well with the majority of the public because they don't think like us, and shocking them isn't going to work. We have to be smarter than that.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The problem is that the fewer people associated with those that feel the need to walk around the streets of down town Atlanta carrying ARs and AKs, the better.

If there are just 20 guys doing this, the general opinion will be that they are radical right wing gun nut idiots. If there are 20 guys doing it with another 5000 supporting the behavior it's a whole different image and many more people would feel threatened by it.

Shouldn't the idea be to show support for the 2A without reinforcing the negative stereotype of gun owners the left likes to project?

I agree completely. I don't open carry anywhere except the woods, on my own land, so I think it would be downright silly to tote an AR around at the capital. I also agree the tactards do not help with their attention grabbing approach. I do support their right to open carry, though. I wish they would not, but they will. They will also be the ones who receive the attention they are staving for, and in the process shoot themselves in their own feet by causing the opposite effect of what we need.

The flaw is in your premise. We are not trying to change an antis mind. We are trying to effect the view of the moderates and undecideds. Which are the large majority and biggest voting block.

First of all, I don't understand why you're making this some type of debate. Why can't we have differing, valid opinions without accusations of flawed logic?

Second, are moderates and undecideds supposed to close their eyes and pretend we don't own 300 million guns in this country? Does them not seeing guns really affect their psyche to that degree? So are you saying that their willingness to uphold or deny our 2nd amendment rights lies potentially in them seeing protestors with or without openly visible firearms at a rally? Hmmm. I'm starting to rethink my flawed logic statement.

Back
Top Bottom