• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just gonna chime in here.....

I've noticed some....racy...avatars as well, but didn't wanna raise a stank about it. I was asked to change mine because a few people specifically "complained" (for lack of a better word) about mine, and I changed it when I was asked to just out of respect.

Have I thought about the fairness of some of the other avatars on here being allowed but mine wasn't?... Sure. But I figured I'd just let Steve sort that out because I'm not a tattle-tale.

Now, if Steve wanted to allow my avatar again, that'd be cool and I'd change it back to her. If not, that's fine too.

But I don't think my previous avatar (seen below) is any more..."inappropriate" than some of the avatars I've seen recently.

i52.tinypic.com_fyd4xy.jpg

Particularly this one (sorry, couldn't help it):

image.php

I wonder if there is a way for each user to turn off avatars if they don't want to see the tiny little "suggestive" picture on the left side of the screen?

I wonder if there is a way for each user to turn off avatars if they don't want to see the tiny little "suggestive" picture on the left side of the screen?

Yep, there sure is. Go to the top of the screen and click settings. In the left hand column, click on general settings. Scroll down and uncheck the show avatar box under Thread Display Options. Done.

Yep, there sure is. Go to the top of the screen and click settings. In the left hand column, click on general settings. Scroll down and uncheck the show avatar box under Thread Display Options. Done.

So maybe the handful (I'm guessing less than .1%) of our members who don't like to see women's underwear in a 2-square-inch picture could "hide" avatars instead of asking the rest of us (the vast majority) submit to their ideas of what is appropriate?

It's kinda like gun control - "I don't like guns, so nobody should be allowed to have one". Only in this case its more like "I don't like to see pictures of women in their underwear, so nobody should be allowed to use such a picture for their avatar."

Just a thought...

So maybe the handful (I'm guessing less than .1%) of our members who don't like to see women's underwear in a 2-square-inch picture could "hide" avatars instead of asking the rest of us (the vast majority) submit to their ideas of what is appropriate?

It's kinda like gun control - "I don't like guns, so nobody should be allowed to have one". Only in this case its more like "I don't like to see pictures of women in their underwear, so nobody should be allowed to use such a picture for their avatar."

Just a thought...

Makes perfect sense to me.

Just a thought...

Guests can't control those options.

I wish you guys could cut me some slack occasionally, I really think "asking the rest of us (the vast majority) submit to their ideas of what is appropriate?" is being a little dramatic. All I'm asking is for avatars to not have profanity, gross stuff, or semi clothed women (or men).

Like it or not, a lot of folks who are into guns are also very conservative. A lot of conservative folks are very religious and would prefer to be able to browse without having that stuff pop up.

Another thing is a LOT of folks browse the site at work or with their families around. If a thread is marked NSFW then they know to not go in there if they are at work or around family or are easily offended. But if a thread is titled "Glock for sale" and they click it and a naked chick pops up in someone's avatar while they are at work or with their wife, that can cause a little bit of trouble.

I have been a little lax in enforcing the avatar rules because I just don't like rules in general, but I guess I need to start enforcing them evenly across the board.

Guests can't control those options.

I wish you guys could cut me some slack occasionally, I really think "asking the rest of us (the vast majority) submit to their ideas of what is appropriate?" is being a little dramatic. All I'm asking is for avatars to not have profanity, gross stuff, or semi clothed women (or men).

Like it or not, a lot of folks who are into guns are also very conservative. A lot of conservative folks are very religious and would prefer to be able to browse without having that stuff pop up.

Another thing is a LOT of folks browse the site at work or with their families around. If a thread is marked NSFW then they know to not go in there if they are at work or around family or are easily offended. But if a thread is titled "Glock for sale" and they click it and a naked chick pops up in someone's avatar while they are at work or with their wife, that can cause a little bit of trouble.

I have been a little lax in enforcing the avatar rules because I just don't like rules in general, but I guess I need to start enforcing them evenly across the board.

Steve,

Is there any way to make the default as no avatars? That way NO ONE sees them unless they want to.

Back
Top Bottom