• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Backpack advise

images
Now that’s a discrete pack

i have this UK made, i got it from malaysia while i was travelling and was in need of it. i will upload the picture and the name, sorry i forgot the name atm. but its amazing and solid. i have used it in like 15 countries and its 80ltrs i guess.

I just got into prepping and started with my bug out bag. Did a lot of research and ended up going with a Camelbak BFM, paid $165 new on Amazon. Came in digital camo and a brand new hyrdation pouch. I'm very happy with the quality of this bag and it's very customizable with adequate MOLLE. It is not framed, but the back padding is just rigid enough to give it a pseudo "framed" feel and support. Lastly, I'm a big guy: 6'4 and 300 lbs, and this bag fits me comfortably.

Beware, some of the hardcore preppers will criticize frameless bugout bags because they claim they will kill your back after just a few short days. While that may be true, I'm not a wuss and I don't plan on carrying the entire contents of my house in my bag.

Hi all - I've been looking for a good bug out bag, but coming from the City I wanted to go more of a grey man style so I can blend in. I had a tactical molle black backpack ordered on Amazon and just canceled it because I was reading more about the grey man approach and decided against it.

Any suggestions on more of a grey bug out bag? I like the Kelty mentioned in the link above, but the size would be too big and stand out.

I have a Kelty pack. It's not tactical but it does the job. Holds everything I need. Lightweight pack. I've got some tactical packs that are nice, I just would rather have something that doesnt scream that I'm a military guy. You can look at it from both ways. Sporting a military style pack could scare people away, or it could attract some thinking you have quality military stuff in the bag. But, who knows what people are gonna be thinking in a real shtf scenario.

I have a bag for everything. A ghb can be smaller like a standard book bag like the one I use to carry stuff to work in, and in my opinion, doesn't have to have a lot of features. I live 8 miles from work, so I'm not concerned with making a shelter, copious amounts of water or food. A simple compass, topo map and/or road map of the area of travel, simple first aid kit, knife, light, and a couple of spare mags for the pistol I lost in a boat fire. Basically I'd load it with stuff I have in my vehicle on any given day and I'm good.

For me, a bug out bag will certainly need to be bigger, and have more features, such as some type of suspension system to support the extra weight of the contents of the bag. In it I'd have the same items as my ghb as the core components, but I'd add more water or ways to treat it, some food, some type of shelter system, extra clothing (jacket, socks), etc...

If you are concerned with blending in, then anything from a reputable brand will work fine. Plenty of people have and use North Face, Osprey, Kelty, Mountain Hardwear or other outdoor manufacturers backpacks everyday carrying stuff into their workplace.

Ninety percent of the people I work with carries some type of backpack into work and to their work area. Just look around while you are in town or the city, and you'll see people carrying backpacks everywhere. I think I scored my backpack used off eBay for $20 or so (probably $100 or more new), so I'd look there.

For a bug out bag, I'd recommend at least a bag that caters to a day hike. They typically have a suspension system for support and can comfortably carry 20-25lbs, without being huge or standing out.

I have a bag for everything. A ghb can be smaller like a standard book bag like the one I use to carry stuff to work in, and in my opinion, doesn't have to have a lot of features. I live 8 miles from work, so I'm not concerned with making a shelter, copious amounts of water or food. A simple compass, topo map and/or road map of the area of travel, simple first aid kit, knife, light, and a couple of spare mags for the pistol I lost in a boat fire. Basically I'd load it with stuff I have in my vehicle on any given day and I'm good.

For me, a bug out bag will certainly need to be bigger, and have more features, such as some type of suspension system to support the extra weight of the contents of the bag. In it I'd have the same items as my ghb as the core components, but I'd add more water or ways to treat it, some food, some type of shelter system, extra clothing (jacket, socks), etc...

If you are concerned with blending in, then anything from a reputable brand will work fine. Plenty of people have and use North Face, Osprey, Kelty, Mountain Hardwear or other outdoor manufacturers backpacks everyday carrying stuff into their workplace.

Ninety percent of the people I work with carries some type of backpack into work and to their work area. Just look around while you are in town or the city, and you'll see people carrying backpacks everywhere. I think I scored my backpack used off eBay for $20 or so (probably $100 or more new), so I'd look there.

For a bug out bag, I'd recommend at least a bag that caters to a day hike. They typically have a suspension system for support and can comfortably carry 20-25lbs, without being huge or standing out.

Thanks, I went with the Kelty Redwing 50 L Backpack 2013. The smaller and simpler one I'm putting in the wife's mini van is the Fieldline Alpha OPS Daypack, which is black and doesn't look tacticool.

Back
Top Bottom