• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Backyard Chicken Farmers

I put my ducks out at 3 weeks cause i got tired of cleaning the brooder. Between the 3 little ducks and the adult they made enough heat just fine. The other birds i hold onto until 4-6 weeks and put them out. Our weather has been so up and down this month i feel like they should have the lamp as a back up plan.
do you introduce them to the rest of your flock at 4-6 weeks or are you segregating them ?

do you introduce them to the rest of your flock at 4-6 weeks or are you segregating them ?

Depends. We will let the chicks have the coop and run while the adults are out in the yard. Then we let them start free ranging with everyone else around 5-6 weeks. IF everyone gets a long without fighting then we just go for it. The ducks because of the amount of size they put on so quickly we just turn them loose around 3-4 weeks and keep an eye on everyone.

Depends. We will let the chicks have the coop and run while the adults are out in the yard. Then we let them start free ranging with everyone else around 5-6 weeks. IF everyone gets a long without fighting then we just go for it. The ducks because of the amount of size they put on so quickly we just turn them loose around 3-4 weeks and keep an eye on everyone.
Thats good to know about the ducks im about ready to get the two giant Pekins i have out of the brooder, they are so darn messy

My youngest chicks in the pen right now is two 6 week old Jersey Giants and my youngest ducks are 3-4 weeks and everyone sleeps together, free ranges together, and stays in the 10x14 run together while i'm at work. The oldest birds are 2.5 years old.

The brown and black ducks are the 3-4 week olds and the white one is 5 weeks old. The adult is 1 year old now. I have one duck in the brooder now that is around a week and a half and that's manageable. Any more than 1 and it's disgusting.
IMG_0772.JPG
IMG_0773.JPG
IMG_0781.JPG
IMG_0782.JPG
IMG_0784.JPG

Almost done, just have to put wire in the top then build a roost inside
Can't tell from pics but is there wire on the bottom of the coop side of the run? I assume there's a people sized door and an egg access door somewhere on the back? Looks like quality work. :afro:

Back
Top Bottom