• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Backyard Chicken Farmers

How many do you intend to have? Mine N?VER use the roost in the run. Just the one in the coop at night.
The reason I was asking is if you intend to clip the wings, you'll need to take the roost height into account.
Make sure your roosts are rounded and not squared.

How many do you intend to have? Mine N?VER use the roost in the run. Just the one in the coop at night.
The reason I was asking is if you intend to clip the wings, you'll need to take the roost height into account.
I have 6 chicks now and planned on getting 4 laying hens when it is complete. I was going to make the roost closer to the ground because my sister has a ladder roost and some of hers get pooped on when they go under it. I have read that it doesnt matter if the roost are 2x2,2x4 or rounded.

I have 6 chicks now and planned on getting 4 laying hens when it is complete. I was going to make the roost closer to the ground because my sister has a ladder roost and some of hers get pooped on when they go under it. I have read that it doesnt matter if the roost are 2x2,2x4 or rounded.
Think about how they roost naturally (round branches obviously). Their tendon locking is designed to work on rounded roosts. You can (not saying you 'will' but you 'can') cause foot problems with squared perches. It's easy enough to round whatever you want to use.
With 10 birds you can probably get by with one running the 8 foot span but I'd do two running 4' instead for a variety of reasons (obviously have no clue what your interior lay out will look like).

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Mine don't use the roost in the run for overnight roosting however they love to play on them and also the ducks have began sleeping out in the run together now and not in the coop.

10675586_10152667243928300_2521077961850039841_n.jpg
10836351_10152665014193300_1882332877_n.jpg
IMG_0787.JPG

I am absolutely not the one to ask, hence the reason we have something like 15 roosters, but try wing sexing it. Take the wing and spread it out. If the wing feathers are all the same length, it is a rooster. If they are long/short/long/short, it is a hen. However, I was told by the girlfriend a few weeks ago that it doesn't work on all breeds. I don't know? I bought 10 pullets from TSC last year and wing sexed them, 100% on them.

Back
Top Bottom