• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bear Creek Arsenal - Just Say No!

Had a spare lower and wanted to put together a cheap little blaster in 7.62x39.
It wasn't the price that got me as much as the side charging was intriguing. AK charging on an AR platform? Sign me up!

The 7.5" complete upper showed up quick and within 5 rounds the "enhanced" firing pin broke.
View attachment 4989117
And when I took the pin out, this is what the bolt looked like. Mind you, this is after 5 rounds!
View attachment 4989118

It was on its way back the next day.
Dude I just last night watched a video about BCA uppers in x39 with the enhanced features. Yeah it was Reno May now that I think about it. Anyway he ordered two of the same pistol uppers in x39 with the extractor and firing pin upgrades. Needless to say lots of light primer strikes and even more double feeds. It was a **** show.
All that being said I just pinned a 10.5" side charging 5.56 on an Anderson lower. I will admit BVA has had more than their share of issues. I had a side charger I had to send back three times. But from what little I know lots of companies have issues with x39 uppers and BCGs . Short version is I see BCA for what it is; my cheap upper go to company. In all fairness I ain't had any issues with their other uppers.

Guys that are assembling AR's on their own need to get input from those in the know on every single part they buy if it's their first or second build. Not all builders that have a ton of experience are High tier snobs and know how to recommend good reliable parts for a budget build. There is literally a decent part out there for every system on the gun that both inexpensive and reliable. I think everyone knows not all guys can afford a LMT or KAC. With proper guidance you will be far better off in the long run. They just need to let go of the thought that they can pick parts out better than someone with years and plenty of builds. Ego trips in this field serves nothing. This forum is chuck full of knowledgeable members that would be happy to share what they have learned over the years. Unfortunately some just don't get it. They have the mind set I can do it better and head straight to Bear Creek Arsenal and start ordering up. This is what keeps the crap rolling off the production line. It's sad! God bless those poor bastards! 🤣 J/K mostly.
Sorry I had to end that on a funny note. 😁

Back
Top Bottom