• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I was just down at the range and it is nothing personal only business.

There is only one Remington semi auto rifle I am interested in and its my grandfathers 308. My brother in law has it so in reality my son or daughter will wind up with it one day.

The 742 was the one known for jamming a lot. The 7400's were a good bit more reliable. I have one in 270, my dad has a model 4 (same as a 7400) in 30-06, and my uncle has one in 35 Whelen. All have been extremely reliable. We keep them relatively clean but not spotless by any means. I wish I would've been there, because I would've happily given him more than they did.

I have almost bought guns of a guy who was about to trade them in cheap at the LGS, but like you, had also just bought something and couldn't justify the extra $$ I wasn't planning on spending.

I have this conversation with customers daily. I tell them that the worst place to sell their guns is a pawn shop, and a gun shop is second worst.

I quote them a price. If they’re not happy with it, I ask if they’ve tried to sell it themself. If not, I steer them to the ODT, and give them some tips on selling. I tell them they already know what I’ll give them, so they can try and make a few more bucks off it. If it doesn’t work out, come on back and I’ll still buy it from them.

There’s a lot of factors I weigh when deciding to buy a used gun, and what to price it at.

Is it going to compete against new guns in the shop that we are already invested in?

How quickly can we sell it?

Are there going to be problems with it after the sale that we have to deal with?

Oftentimes, folks want to sell us guns that are filthy, and I won’t put them on display that way. Now, instead of helping customers or working on their guns for pay, I’m having to spend time cleaning and lubricating this used gun. I’m up front about it, and I tell the customer that I’m knocking $XXX of what I would normally offer them, because I have to clean the gun so I can display it. They have the option of taking it home, cleaning it, and bringing it back. I’ve only had one customer do that.

I have this conversation with customers daily. I tell them that the worst place to sell their guns is a pawn shop, and a gun shop is second worst.

I quote them a price. If they’re not happy with it, I ask if they’ve tried to sell it themself. If not, I steer them to the ODT, and give them some tips on selling. I tell them they already know what I’ll give them, so they can try and make a few more bucks off it. If it doesn’t work out, come on back and I’ll still buy it from them.

There’s a lot of factors I weigh when deciding to buy a used gun, and what to price it at.

Is it going to compete against new guns in the shop that we are already invested in?

Are there going to be problems with it after the sale that we have to deal with?

Oftentimes, folks want to sell us guns that are filthy, and I won’t put them on display that way. Now, instead of helping customers or working on their guns for pay, I’m having to spend time cleaning and lubricating this used gun. I’m up front about it, and I tell the customer that I’m knocking $XXX of what I would normally offer them, because I have to clean the gun so I can display it. They have the option of taking it home, cleaning it, and bringing it back. I’ve only had one customer do that.
I loved it when a guy brought in a made for Walmart gun and then want close to full retail trade. I twice got fed up and asked them this: If that's what it's worth then why not go back to Walmart and trade it in there. End of discussion. Other than some ammo I never sold any product that someone could walk into a discount store and buy. To your point, there are a lot of caveat's that have to be weighed by each individual dealers needs and particulars of the situation at hand and in that moment.
Please don't get me started on the guys who wanted real good money for dime store guns that would end up sitting in a rack for eons. I can't tell you how many I just flat out said, I'm not interested, I won't be able to move it. In the 90's I wasn't giving you $175 for an old Mossberg bolt action 12 gauge who's magazine probably doesn't work.

The 742 was the one known for jamming a lot. The 7400's were a good bit more reliable. I have one in 270, my dad has a model 4 (same as a 7400) in 30-06, and my uncle has one in 35 Whelen. All have been extremely reliable. We keep them relatively clean but not spotless by any means. I wish I would've been there, because I would've happily given him more than they did.
I have a Model 4 in 243 and it runs flawlessly.

Those Remingtons were a pile of steaming crap and he's lucky to get $350...in my opinion and experience with that particular piece of crap rifle!!!

About as fair as it gets right there.

Back
Top Bottom