• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bee Keeping

We have had bees for 4 years now. A lot of ups and downs with loosing hives. On the pricey side to get started with everything; but it is rewarding when you harvest honey. For the most part, they are not aggressive unless you start mashing them. Surprising for an entire colony made up of females.

We have some tended hives local (neighbors house a few miles away) to the house. We have a lot of clovers in the field and close to the house and we see them all over. I’d like to do it if I had the time. I think they are really interesting and very very important creatures.

We will be harvesting in a week or two. Hoping for a good honey harvest with losing 5 hives. Even with an extractor, you have to plan on spending most of the day playing in the honey. Last time, I asked the neighbors and his sons to help me since they had never seen how it was done and mainly, they were watching. It was hot; but I think they had a good time and even got the first bottle of the season. With only one hive active, hoping to get 30-50 pounds of honey when everything is done.

We will be harvesting in a week or two. Hoping for a good honey harvest with losing 5 hives. Even with an extractor, you have to plan on spending most of the day playing in the honey. Last time, I asked the neighbors and his sons to help me since they had never seen how it was done and mainly, they were watching. It was hot; but I think they had a good time and even got the first bottle of the season. With only one hive active, hoping to get 30-50 pounds of honey when everything is done.
You have a centrifuge?

My grandaddy was a beekeeper. He had hives all over mostly overlooking cow pastures so mostly clover honey. I would help harvest ( rob ) the hives. It is hot and hard work. We always had cases of honey to try and sell for him. Nobody wanted much back then. Now, everybody wants it and you can get good money for it

Back
Top Bottom