• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beretta .22 LR Feed Issues

Georgia Terrapin

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Survivalist
17   0
Reaction score
Before I contact Beretta, I wonder whether you have opinions or suggestions that might help me to better describe the issue. I've got a new Beretta .22 LR Bobcat.

The problem: Using Remington ammo, there were lot of FTFs where the cartridge would be nose-down in the mag and refuse to feed. Occasionally, they were nose up and refused to feed. I switched to CCI, which refused to eject every single time, but feeding didn't seem to be an issue. One Remington primer exploded in the breech. I've included a few photos.

When I switched back to Remington, the FTEs stopped, and the FTFs were greatly reduced.

There's a photo of the breech that makes it look pitted. It isn't, that's just powder residue.

Maybe it's just a matter of breaking in the mags? Another deep clean? More rounds to polish the feed ramp? I'd like to be able to present an intelligent statement of the problem to Beretta, or get feedback if this is a common, self-resolving issue.

BTW, this little pistol is as accurate as my eyesight will permit. If my vision was better, I think every shot would go through the same hole in the target.

Attachments

• Remington Ammo Type.JPG
    Remington Ammo Type.JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Remington Exploded Primer.JPG
    Remington Exploded Primer.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Remington FTF.JPG
    Remington FTF.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 21
  • CCI Ammo Type.JPG
    CCI Ammo Type.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 19
  • CCI FTE.JPG
    CCI FTE.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 20
I suppose I've found the solution. I couldn't find much information, but it seems that the recoil spring is tough when new out of the box. You've got to run 200-300 rounds of extra high velocity rounds through it to break it in, and give it a good cleaning.

The more powerful ammo seemed to help a lot. Tonight I cleaned it, so the next step is to run some more high power ammo through.

Per Beretta FAQs (and after it's been broken in, which is not in the FAQs), you might have to return to regular or high-velocity ammo for regular use. We'll see about that.

That would have been my suggestion - try some quality high-velocity ammunition. The CCI you're using is great stuff, but it's standard velocity. I'd try some faster stuff, or even stingers. And a good cleaning always helps. The lube that was applied at the factory may have become a but gummy, which only slows things down even more.

Back
Top Bottom