• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Blade shapes for Self defense/EDC

shaneadams90

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
73   0
Reaction score
So I have been carefully watching "knife chat" on the ODT as well as watching with some interest on other blade forums that I lurk on....so it is with some interest that I ask for opinions on what blade shapes you guys favor AND WHY for EDC with an emphasis on personal defense..

I would really like to hear from some of our knife makers like Sharpblades and Fatzombie as you guys are in the biz...

I have noticed that the Tanto blade shape is popping up more and more and curious as to the reasons for this...This is NOT a "baiting" thread and I am not looking to Troll on anyone at all, in fact, I am most comfortable on the ODT and "know" the guys here better....just looking for some honest opinions from you guys....

thanks
shane

Feel free to post pics of your favorites..pics help..but really looking for rational as to WHY you like a specific blade type....

Last edited:
I like the Tanto for a self defense blade for several reasons, primary among them being a very strong tip. With the lack of belly in the shape, it elongates the stabbing surface area. The straight lines make it easy to chop or hack with and also make it easyto sharpen. It will typically also have a thicker blade.

I like the Tanto for a self defense blade for several reasons, primary among them being a very strong tip. With the lack of belly in the shape, it elongates the stabbing surface area. The straight lines make it easy to chop or hack with and also make it easyto sharpen. It will typically also have a thicker blade.

This ^^^^^ is along the lines of what I am looking for....Thanks for the info....

It is OPINIONS that I am seeking....informed....thought out....rational opinions.....

I am looking for the "perfect EDC" and have been working on a few designs of my own but just wanted some input as I have limited knowledge....

I don't know what kind of coffee you are drinking for a Nickel but it must be heinous!

Seriously though i prefer a drop point mainly form a esthetics point of view. I have a CRKT minimalist and just ordered a CRKT IIchi. Neither of which have a drop point in the traditional sense. I have put in my Bday request for yet again a CRKT ( I have just found I like their knives) Carson M4-02S .
2385e.jpg
CR1070.jpg
M4-02S.jpg
I would think my EDC would be used for many things other than just defense. In a defense roll I could only see it used to use in in a let go of me/my gun situation. So slicing at an offending arm would be it's most likely go to move.

Last edited:
I kinda prefer drop points for general use but I have a pic of the two blades I have been carrying daily...

The folder is a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek...
It is my first of that blade configuration and I REALLY like how handy it is and like the fine cutting ability that the point has....I could see where the blade would not be as Sturdy bc it is so narrow, but for cutting boxes open and making the kind of fine cuts I make daily, not to mention how quick and easy it opens...it has proven to be really handy!

The Tops Felony stop is the fixed blade and my "Back off me" knife....I use the other for utility stuff, this one comes out in case of emergency....and if my mag is empty....

photo copy 10.jpg

Back
Top Bottom