• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Bourbon that doesn't break the bank?

I have come to like bourbon along the way leaning less on beer and the belly. Who here knows bourbon and can recommend some brands that are the best bang for the buck? I've tried Bulliet which is good as well as Knob Creek, Jefferson's Reserve, Woodford's Reserve, Tin Cup which is a little mild, among a few others. Any recommendations in the Bulliet price range that's comparable to the mid shelf in taste and drinkability?
Blade & Bow is a great new one
Michter’s Bourbon or Michter’s Sour Mash
Elijah Craig
Four Roses Small Batch
Buffalo Trace is best price/quality
Splurge on Blanton’s

All you bourbon drinkers should get up to Kentucky and go on the Bourbon Trail. Hit about a dozen distilleries all within a 100 mile loop or so just east of Louisville. My dad only drank Jim Beam and he lived to 95. I like Jack Daniel's and some scotch and most Irish whiskies. Buffalo Trace and Basil Hayden are good too. But, being a diabetic, I only have about one drink/month anymore.

But, being a diabetic, I only have about one drink/month anymore.

You should do some research on this. I am not a doctor, and what I am telling you is general knowledge that is readily accessible.

Distilled spirits have no sugar -the sugar in the base mash is converted to alcohol. Alcohol has virtually no effect on your glucose level. Alcohol can affect your liver function.

If you can drink alcohol without a sweet mixer, (and all real men should be able to) you can have 1-2 drinks a day. It is chemically impossible for distilled spirits to affect your glucose level. If you drink enough to impact your liver function that is a different story, but is is a story for every one, not just diabetics.

Everyone tells diabetics not to drink because they are (1) lazy and don't take the time to learn about the different alcoholic beverages, or (2) they are ignorant about what different alcoholic beverages are, and it is easier just to tell diabetics to not drink.

Again, I emphasize that all this information is readily accessible from reputable sources. In fact I had this actual discussion with my doctor "how can distilled spirits raise my blood sugar level" and he admitted that scientifically it couldn't. If you drink a distilled spirit (no beer, no wine) all of the sugar has been converted to alcohol -and as long as you do not use as sugary mixer, it cannot directly impact your blood sugar.

Back
Top Bottom