• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Dove Loads?

keithtally

Default rank <5 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

With Dove Season coming up I was just wondering what you feel is the best load for dove hunting without breaking the bank. Also whether you prefer steel or lead shot. That's all.

Unless I have missed something, steel shot is not required in Georgia for Dove. I wouldn't spend the extra money for it. Walmart sells the 100 count of Dove loads that will work fine. I usually buy a short case (Flat of 250 shells) of 3.25 dram powder, 1.25 oz shot from one of the local hardware stores just before the season starts. Last time , if I remember correct, the short case was about $65. Your price may vary according to what power charge and shot charge you get. Stick with a number 7 to 8 shot and you should do fine.

I know the term short case of flat may make you wonder, but shotgun shells once came in a case of 500 shells. 20 boxes of 25 for about $70 to $100. Yeah, It is an age thing. Then the industry changed to the 10 box case. I guess the delivery folks and others didn't like the weight of the full case size.

Good luck!

For dove, lead only. As fireman said, steel is not required. It's more expensive and doesn't carry as far (so I've been told, never tested this in a scientific experiment).

Make sure that you carry a choke assortment...
I have had to switch to an extra full before just to be able to touch a dove they were flying so high by time they got over me. Three or more folks would empty their guns without hitting them and I'd knock em down when they got to me.

Make sure that you carry a choke assortment...
I have had to switch to an extra full before just to be able to touch a dove they were flying so high by time they got over me. Three or more folks would empty their guns without hitting them and I'd knock em down when they got to me.

same here; I only use Modified or Full chokes

12ga - 2 3/4" - 3 - 1 1/8 oz - # 8 or #7 1/2; I like Winchester AA

NOTE:
if anybody needs some 16 ga #7 1/2 or #8 send me a message; I got 125 of them

Last edited:
Thanks for the input fellas. I know that steel is not required but it is lighter than lead so you get more pellets per shell than lead and I believe it travels faster. More pellets better chance right?

Back
Top Bottom