• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best fixed blade self defense knife for EDC

Mora of Sweden - Morakniv. They start around $10.00, solid, come with a molded polymer sheath, and if you lose it, you ain't out much.

View attachment 1614049

First thing that popped in my head too. I have an orange BAHCO branded and a slightly smaller red handled one a buddy gave me at work. They are great knives and very sharp.

The winner of a knife fight goes to the hospital.

And then to jail.

In the eyes of cops, prosecutors and juries, a knife is a 'criminals weapon'. Good guys, like cops, use guns.

About a month ago I heard an excellent podcast discussing knives for self defense. While almost everyone on the roundtable agreed a utility knife is something you should carry, all the LE and 'criminals' on the show suggested that it's only use in self-defense was as a last, last resort.

It makes sense when you look at it the way they explained it.

You are attacked and defend yourself with a knife.

Rather than the 'average' 2.5 shots you hear about stopping an attacker, stab wounds take a lot time to take effect. Like everything else, Hollywood has made stabbings seem quick and bloodless, when in reality blood will spray everywhere, and it can take 10 or 15 jabs before an attacker drops from blood loss (or more, one of the reformed thugs said he saw a guy walk to the hospital after getting stabbed 28 times in jail).

Now the cops roll up and you are standing over a person lying on the ground in a huge pool of blood, covered in the 'victims' blood, with a knife nearby. No matter what you say or don't say, you are going to jail, or the hospital first then jail.

When the prosecutor reads that you stabbed the guy 8 or 10 or 15 times to make him quit attacking you, he'll decide that he can crush your self defense claim and you'll be going to court. When the jury sees your booking picture, with you 'drenched in the victim's blood' and pictures of the stab wounds you inflicted, you'll probably be going to jail unless you have a very good, very expensive lawyer.

The whole roundtable agreed that it usually didn't matter what the facts were, in cases of self-defense using knives, the defender was usually tried and often convicted on perception alone.

I always have my Gerber Gator close by.

gstor.jpg

I went with the Colonel blades fixed knife. Warrior Poet Society has a special where you get the knife a sheath and a tactical pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom