Best hardtail Mountain bike for $500-1000?

I think I settled on the Cannondale catalyst 2

I can't remember why but the guy at my bike shop recommended staying away from the shimano tourny derailers when I was hunting for my bike. Maybe someone here with some knowledge can confirm or deny this info

I think I settled on the Cannondale catalyst 2
If you're the type of rider that's taking "4-5' drops" that bike won't hold up long. It's really an entry level bike. If you do a lot of mountain biking and ride hard you will want to spend more or buy used. From the description on the website "The Catalyst 2 will appeal to casual and aspiring riders looking for a versatile, fun and capable dirt companion"

If you're the type of rider that's taking "4-5' drops" that bike won't hold up long. It's really an entry level bike. If you do a lot of mountain biking and ride hard you will want to spend more or buy used. From the description on the website "The Catalyst 2 will appeal to casual and aspiring riders looking for a versatile, fun and capable dirt companion"

Life time frame warranty plus standard hydraulic brakes is a huge plus. It also leaves me room to upgrade. And 4-5 foot drops are not the norm for me so it should hold up good enough. I have road Walmart mountain bikes waaaaaaay past their intended use. I have done tons of looking and really want to keep it in lower price bracket and this will fit the bill.

Life time frame warranty plus standard hydraulic brakes is a huge plus. It also leaves me room to upgrade. And 4-5 foot drops are not the norm for me so it should hold up good enough. I have road Walmart mountain bikes waaaaaaay past their intended use. I have done tons of looking and really want to keep it in lower price bracket and this will fit the bill.
As long as you know what youre getting into. If you ride off-road consistently, cheaper components will cost more in the long run. The frame will not be a problem on most bikes (I would not let the frame warranty be a deciding factor) but the component set will be difficult to keep tuned up. They're not made for real mountain biking.

As long as you know what youre getting into. If you ride off-road consistently, cheaper components will cost more in the long run. The frame will not be a problem on most bikes (I would not let the frame warranty be a deciding factor) but the component set will be difficult to keep tuned up. They're not made for real mountain biking.

No matter how much I spend there will always be something better. I do the same thing with this sport that I do with shooting which is upgrade when I am good enough to utilize the and see a difference with better technology and better parts then I upgrade. So far I have gone threw 3 OK mountain bikes this will be my first good one.

No matter how much I spend there will always be something better. I do the same thing with this sport that I do with shooting which is upgrade when I am good enough to utilize the and see a difference with better technology and better parts then I upgrade. So far I have gone threw 3 OK mountain bikes this will be my first good one.

Did the same... I have a $3500 mountain bike...

Back
Top Bottom