• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Pistol Primers?

Anyone know where I can find some CCI small pistol primers??? Everyone around me is out. Moss, Army navy Stockbridge, even Bass pro in Al was out. Wth is going on with the primers??

There ar esome in Dawsonville, GA at Dawsonville Gun and Pawn ask for Dennis, he is the smartest handloader I know! Just don't buy them all!

Winchesters for me more often than not

federal match for those types of rifle loads

I use a lot of Winchester brass so I'm not a CCI fan

Can I use the Federal Match in Pistol? ( Dumb question they sell them.) What is the difference in the match?

Can I use the Federal Match in Pistol? ( Dumb question they sell them.) What is the difference in the match?

Yes you can. The only difference in the match vs regular is the allowable manufacturing tolerences. they are much tighter on match primers. The mach primers will have more uniform metal caps and lead styphnate disks. As long as your just plinking a "regular" primer will do just fine.

Although they are made on the same manufacturing lines there are SOME differences, but not a lot. I too hate the federal packaging! You definitely won't have a chain reaction with those! The primers though are first class. I pretty sure it was a fairly recent merge. (Maybe Late 2010. could be wrong)

They've been under the same corporate umbrella for a while, but I wouldn't assume that they're the same primers. A lot of contracts are based on certain specifications that have to be met.

They may be the same today, but like a few years back the Winchester and Hodgdon powders that many suspected were the same, not until the industry announced it did I accept as the gospel and treat them as the same product with different packaging.

I haven't recently bought any CCI or Federal primers. I did buy 5K Federal small pistol primers about 3 years ago because small pistol primers were hard to come by at the time, they were priced @ $30.00/K, and in front of me. I ain't never been as picky about my handgun primers as I am the rifle primers. The Federals I have used sure don't seat or feed the same as any CCI's I've used?

They've been under the same corporate umbrella for a while, but I wouldn't assume that they're the same primers. A lot of contracts are based on certain specifications that have to be met.

They may be the same today, but like a few years back the Winchester and Hodgdon powders that many suspected were the same, not until the industry announced it did I accept as the gospel and treat them as the same product with different packaging.

I haven't recently bought any CCI or Federal primers. I did buy 5K Federal small pistol primers about 3 years ago because small pistol primers were hard to come by at the time, they were priced @ $30.00/K, and in front of me. I ain't never been as picky about my handgun primers as I am the rifle primers. The Federals I have used sure don't seat or feed the same as any CCI's I've used?

I will be the first person to say "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I am with you on the rifle vs handgun primers, I am MUCH more picky on my rifle. I don't blame you one little bit being skeptical on the mixing of powders without knowing, could be VERY detremental.

To be honest, I prefer Winchester primers period. As I admitted earlier I'm not as picky about handgun calibers because handgun distances usually aren't very far for me anymore. I rarely shoot a handgun more than 50' now.

If I'm loading performance target or hunting rifle loads, it'll be Winchester primers. It wasn't long ago that I'd use only CCI or Winchester for my high volume loads too. Now when I'm loading plinking AR15 loads I've been using Wolf primers.

I don't like how they're packaged, (upside down) their feeding isn't as smooth, and they leave my priming tooling coated with a nice golden hue, but they've all went bang. I even loaded a few target loads 40 grain VMAX using them in new Lake City brass and got tiny groups @ 100 yds.

I paid $15.00/K for the Wolf. At this price I had to give them a try, glad I did!

I'm still using the Federal small pistol that I bought 3 years back. I simply don't shoot nearly as much as I once did. (That's A Very Bad Way To Be!)

Back
Top Bottom