• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best retail 357 mag ammo for deer?

Have not decided but I am thinking about a Ruger GP100 6” or S&W x86 6”.
If you haven't bought it yet I would look at a 44 mag, I busted a hog at 20 yards this year with a Match Champion .357 and that hog is still running today. The Redhawks don't really kick much due to the weight and having that extra ass is always better. I have a Redhawk 7.5 in 44 mag that I carry with me for deer, I prefer to have too much gun in every situation vs not enough. I'm positive that a .357 will stop a deer but for me a .357 just seems a little under powered. As long as your looking a Ruger's take some time and look up Underwood ammo, it's the hottest stuff on the market that you can get without handloading and Ruger's can handle it. A Smith and Wesson not so much! :pound: I do like smith's though

If you haven't bought it yet I would look at a 44 mag, I busted a hog at 20 yards this year with a Match Champion .357 and that hog is still running today. The Redhawks don't really kick much due to the weight and having that extra ass is always better. I have a Redhawk 7.5 in 44 mag that I carry with me for deer, I prefer to have too much gun in every situation vs not enough. I'm positive that a .357 will stop a deer but for me a .357 just seems a little under powered. As long as your looking a Ruger's take some time and look up Underwood ammo, it's the hottest stuff on the market that you can get without handloading and Ruger's can handle it. A Smith and Wesson not so much! :pound: I do like smith's though
.357 has a LOT of potential and isn't under powered at all. The problem is that most of the really effective loads aren't offered or are difficult to find in factory offerings.

I'll concur that that Rugers are better able to handle the heavy .44 loads vs the S&W's.

.357 has a LOT of potential and isn't under powered at all. The problem is that most of the really effective loads aren't offered or are difficult to find in factory offerings.

I'll concur that that Rugers are better able to handle the heavy .44 loads vs the S&W's.
Out of a rifle I would agree but for deer sized game out of a revolver I personally would want more. I have done way more than my share of tracking and I prefer to always go up when possible. I think to be more ethical is always better. I've seen deer busted in the shoulder with a 308 get knocked over and get up and run off never to be seen again. Deer are tough critters and I'm not saying a .357 won't do it, just saying if the gun hasn't been purchased yet I would definitely go larger if the intended purpose of the gun was to hunt with it. Shot placement as with any thing is going to be extremely important.

See if I get a 357 mag for deer this year. I can get a 44 mag for hogs/bear next year. :becky:

2453-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom