• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Rock live performance

Good but doesnt Beat the bros! Apples and oranges though

letusbuyyourcar letusbuyyourcar
I think the original LP did not have a re-released and remastered and it had it on it. I think ..
My favorite Floyd tune is " Shine on You Crazy Diamond". To me David Glimore is THE best guitar player alive or dead. But my favorite live act that I only got to see live once in Charlotte is (was) Motorhead.

My favorite Floyd tune is " Shine on You Crazy Diamond". To me David Glimore is THE best guitar player alive or dead. But my favorite live act that I only got to see live once in Charlotte is (was) Motorhead.

Gilmore is too notch , but he held up the rest of the band.
I just dislike Roger Waters greatly

Gilmore is too notch , but he held up the rest of the band.
I just dislike Roger Waters greatly
I saw a DVRed special anniversary special for Fender several years ago at a friend's house in Gray that had a few instrumental tunes by Gilmore solo. He's good enough to play alone. When Momentary Lapse of Reason came out in 87 a lot of people kinda dismissed it since Roger Waters wasn't on it. But it's a solid album in its entirety. I really dig Dogs of War and On the Turning Away.

Good but doesnt Beat the bros! Apples and oranges though

letusbuyyourcar letusbuyyourcar
I think the original LP did not have a re-released and remastered and it had it on it. I think ..
It's mostly subjective. To be honest I've never liked The Allman Brothers or Lyrnrd Skynyrd. Just not my thing. From the time period I much prefer the sound of Atlanta Rhythm section. In general though the best live performances are from bands who can be clear and consistent between the stage and studio. It separates the pros from the studio created pretenders. Dave Matthews Bans Listener Supported is a good one. They know their business.

I saw a DVRed special anniversary special for Fender several years ago at a friend's house in Gray that had a few instrumental tunes by Gilmore solo. He's good enough to play alone. When Momentary Lapse of Reason came out in 87 a lot of people kinda dismissed it since Roger Waters wasn't on it. But it's a solid album in its entirety. I really dig Dogs of War and On the Turning Away.

My fav of Gilmore is from Gdnask Poland a few back. Full orchestra with his band at the time...Speaking of Time, the solo from Time at this show was spine chilling...

Mountain Jam was like a whole album side wasn't it?

Sorry, incorrect. It was TWO album sides long.
The ability to play a song on stage to sound "just like the album" is nothing but practice. Anyone can do it with enough "shed time". To give your audience something different every night comes only through talent, imagination and depth in your knowledge and creativity.
If I want to see how really good a band it, I go to the live albums first.

Sorry, incorrect. It was TWO album sides long.
The ability to play a song on stage to sound "just like the album" is nothing but practice. Anyone can do it with enough "shed time". To give your audience something different every night comes only through talent, imagination and depth in your knowledge and creativity.
If I want to see how really good a band it, I go to the live albums first.
That's also true, but I talking about a different aspect. There are bands who lack the talent to perform well live. They don't sound good on stage. They can't play and sing well at at the same time, they don't improvise well, etc. They are overproduced in the studio in order to sound as they do. Often when a band sounds consistent on stage and n the studio it's because their talent is at a level that doesn't need to be engineered in the studio.

Back
Top Bottom