• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bipod options

dunkel

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
75   0
Reaction score
Ok, my ar is nearing completion. Just need a bipod and she's about done. Picked up a rail from another member here, so I have some place to put it now. Just looking for input on actual bipod choices and mounting options.

I know Harris is a good name and fairly reasonably priced, but I'd need another adapter to put it on the rail I have. There are some cheaper ones from various makers...was looking at CAA/MFT and Mako/Fab Defense...both seem to be decent names, but I've not found many review on the adapters I'm looking at. I know I can get a Larue or Harris adapter for 3-4x the money.

I hate to say it, but I'm also looking at the UTG bipods. I know, UTG...but every site that sells them has them at 4-5 stars with dozens of reviews. And they're 1/2 or less the price of the Harris and 1/4 the price of others. For $20-30, it might be worth the chance and I wouldn't need to buy an extra adapter.

I don't mind spending $100ish if it's necessary, but if it's not, I'd rather buy more ammo with which to practice, ya know?

Thanks

Bi pods are for bench or prone shooting so I figure that's why you want one. If so then go ahead and spend the cash on a Harris. No matter how stable the others appear you will notice a huge difference with the real deal. I'm not into throwing away cash either and couldn't believe the difference between the Wal Mart "Winchester" bi pods and the Harris. They look nearly identical but the Harris is so much more stable especially under recoil. They are definitely worth the price difference and like any quality product tend to hold their value well. The money I threw away was on the cheap stuff to begin with.
I would say that most of the reviews you read were probably from those who have only owned cheap bi pods. If you just wanna look cool the others work just fine. If you want a stable platform to shoot from the Harris is the way to go.

Go with the Harris. Also if possible go ahead and pony up the little bit extra and get the swivel version. It really helps when you are on uneven ground. You can upgrade the knob of the swivel fairly cheaply as well if you want.

As for the adapter, I have a GG&G I use when I am mounting on a picatinny rail. I believe it ran around $20 or so. It has worked fine so far. It isn't quick detach but it still only takes 30 seconds to remove the bipod. Not really an issue to me.

In the long run the Harris is definately the way to go.

Well looking cool is important, but I don't want to JUST look cool.

Gonna start looking at which Harris to get, I guess. Thinking the 9-13"...going to be mostly using it from the prone and less from the bench. And I'll look at that particular adapter, too. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom