• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Black Drawing Salve?

Mercurochrome didn’t burn much. You guys are remembering merthiolate. Or iodine.
Mercurochrome was water based and did not burn like merthiolate (alcohol based) or tincture of iodine, also alcohol based.

We'd beg for Mercurochrome when Granny came at us with the mertiolate.

I remember most of those and the vic's rub on the chest for a cold. We never went to the Dr. for anything other than broken bones. Now someone's kid gets a little cough and off to the ER. My mother even used butterfly bandages to mend cuts that probably needed stitches. I also remember a Dr. visit not costing a week's pay for the average individual, and nobody had insurance.

I remember most of those and the vic's rub on the chest for a cold. We never went to the Dr. for anything other than broken bones. Now someone's kid gets a little cough and off to the ER. My mother even used butterfly bandages to mend cuts that probably needed stitches. I also remember a Dr. visit not costing a week's pay for the average individual, and nobody had insurance.
I remember getting in a fight in high school, my chin got split open, got dragged into the principal's office, two butterfly bandages put on my chin...then got busted with a paddle! Country schools were the best, I graduated in a class of 23...

You can still get black drawing salve on Amazon, Ickthamol ointment. I cut the top of my foot on something when I was a kid, it got infected with anthrax. My dad cut open the big black domed blister with his pocket knife, and soaked my foot in kerosene. Then a bandage with black drawing salve. Took about a week to fully heal, still have the scar almost 60 years later. Never did go to the doctor for it.

Back
Top Bottom