• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Black Drawing Salve?

Remember it and have a little can of it in my medicine cabinet right now. Think I found it at WalMart.

Mine is "Prid" brand. You can still get it off Amazon.

I remember the good old days, if the cure didn't kill you ,you'd be ok . Get out and play in the dirt .You had to be tough like John Wayne or Chuck Norris to survive.

Mercurochrome was water based and did not burn like merthiolate (alcohol based) or tincture of iodine, also alcohol based.

We'd beg for Mercurochrome when Granny came at us with the mertiolate.
Don’t forget this one in the old medicine chest.

Apparently they still sell it but haven’t seen it in 40 years.

Attachments

• 1661130904247.jpeg
    1661130904247.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 8
I rode my tricycle off of my great Grandmother's back porch in Centralhatchee when I was 3, landed face first on a glass Mason Jar that was sitting on a concrete slab for some strange reason. Sliced my forehead wide open and just stopped in the corner of my left eye socket. I remember getting up while crying uncontrollably ans seei g blood pouring down across my eyes. Staggered back up the steps and into the kitchen where all the women satand they all screamed. My great Grandmother and Grandmother threw me into the car and made the drive back to Franklin Memorial Hospital, all the time holding a towel on my forehead (they said I soaked 12 towels with my blood by the time I got there). The Doc flushed out the laceration with Iodine and the said it took 8 grown people to hold me down while they did it. I ended up with 58 stitches and that said I could have bled to death if they had gotten me there much later. Even at 3 years old I was a big kid and that Iodine was probably as painful as anything I've ever felt! Those old time remedies were hard to beat!

Interesting thread... enjoyed reading and reminders of growing up. We had everything others had listed and another one no one has listed - forgive spelling - Camfophoenique. Came in small green bottle and it smelled like some sort of petroleum product. It was a thin liquid we used for insect bites, scrapes and to clean wounds before using black salve.

Ah, good times! Wonder how folks up north ever got through childhood!!

Back
Top Bottom