• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Black Powder rifle clean

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
My four friends that happen to be brothers I grew up with live here. Well their father wanted me to extract a double loaded Traditions 50 cal. muzzle loader. Well the gun is the wrong one but I decided to touch up the stock, barrel and clean it anyway. I don't think the gun has ever been cleaned. I hope I am not to late because the bore is in rough shape. These are some of the patches that I have pulled out of the barrel. These are not double pics. These are all different patches. There is a special tool to remove the primer nipple so I made my own to take it out and clean the sub chamber. Just take a look at this mess.

Attachments

• IMG_20230612_121017355.jpg
    IMG_20230612_121017355.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230611_212843767.jpg
    IMG_20230611_212843767.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230611_163953047.jpg
    IMG_20230611_163953047.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230611_164750760.jpg
    IMG_20230611_164750760.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 8
Their father has probably 50 or more guns in a few safes and I bet every one needs to be cleaned. He also has stacks of guns brand new still in the original boxes that have never been opened.

My four friends that happen to be brothers I grew up with live here. Well their father wanted me to extract a double loaded Traditions 50 cal. muzzle loader. Well the gun is the wrong one but I decided to touch up the stock, barrel and clean it anyway. I don't think the gun has ever been cleaned. I hope I am not to late because the bore is in rough shape. These are some of the patches that I have pulled out of the barrel. These are not double pics. These are all different patches. There is a special tool to remove the primer nipple so I made my own to take it out and clean the sub chamber. Just take a look at this mess.
With a small cleaning jig you can run a patch of blue or green scotch brite material down the bore

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I was told long ago that BP guns have to be cleaned with water first to remove the salts that were deposited in the barrel from the black powder, THEN we go to normal oil/solvent-based cleaning processes.

On all of mine I always clean after shooting them. I fill the sink half way up with, hot I mean hot water and Dawn dish washing soap. Then I pull the nipple and submerge the barrel nipple side in. I take my ramrod and use it like a plunger, do several times up and down until the barrel is full and the water is squirting out the nipple opening. I rinse the inside with just boiling water until clear. Then I run a rod down with a mop and patch to lube. Apply light coat of oil on the barrel, reassemble and store them.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I was told long ago that BP guns have to be cleaned with water first to remove the salts that were deposited in the barrel from the black powder, THEN we go to normal oil/solvent-based cleaning processes.
At this point I am ready to try anything. I just can not get it clean. There is still a price tag on the trigger guard so I think it was sold cheap because of the shape of the bore. I would be willing to bet it was never cleaned and lost my accuracy. I will get it as good as I can and give it back.

Back
Top Bottom