• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Black Powder rifle clean

On all of mine I always clean after shooting them. I fill the sink half way up with, hot I mean hot water and Dawn dish washing soap. Then I pull the nipple and submerge the barrel nipple side in. I take my ramrod and use it like a plunger, do several times up and down until the barrel is full and the water is squirting out the nipple opening. I rinse the inside with just boiling water until clear. Then I run a rod down with a mop and patch to lube. Apply light coat of oil on the barrel, reassemble and store them.
That's the way iv'e always cleaned mind

I've had 2 blackpowder guns rust after I cleaned them, but two other guns I shot for years without ever having rust form on them. I "thought" I cleaned them correctly using the same techniques as my father taught me for shooting corrosive-primed ammo (he used to shoot tons of it made during the World War I through 1930s.)

1-- Use a separate cleaning kit, or at least different brushes tips, and rods. Not the same cleaning kit you use for your smokeless guns.

2-- Clean the barrel with very hot soapy water. Wipe down the other parts with either this hot water or USGI corrosive bore cleaner or some commercial product made for black powder.

3-- Dry the bore and the rest of the gun with heat such as from an electric hairdryer. If all you cleaned was the bore or barreled action AND the water you used was extremely hot (like out of the pan heated on the stove boiling hot) not just from the hot tap water from your sink's faucet, then drying it may not be necessary --because the metal will be hot enough to dry on its own .

4-- After the gun is dry, OIL and LUBE it as you would any other gun.

the way I was taught!!
I has cleaned them in the shower.

Once was chatting online and mentioned that I had a revolver soaking in hot water in the sink and some leftist got all bent out of shape, even when I explained it was cap n ball he still thought I was an idiot. I has used windex as the soap and cleaned them without soap at all. It didn't seem to make a difference if I used soap or not.

Once forgot a flintlock left standing behind a curtain because we got rained out hunting for about a year only remembered at the start of the next season that fired just like it was a fresh load.

I've had 2 blackpowder guns rust after I cleaned them, but two other guns I shot for years without ever having rust form on them. I "thought" I cleaned them correctly using the same techniques as my father taught me for shooting corrosive-primed ammo (he used to shoot tons of it made during the World War I through 1930s.)

1-- Use a separate cleaning kit, or at least different brushes tips, and rods. Not the same cleaning kit you use for your smokeless guns.

2-- Clean the barrel with very hot soapy water. Wipe down the other parts with either this hot water or USGI corrosive bore cleaner or some commercial product made for black powder.

3-- Dry the bore and the rest of the gun with heat such as from an electric hairdryer. If all you cleaned was the bore or barreled action AND the water you used was extremely hot (like out of the pan heated on the stove boiling hot) not just from the hot tap water from your sink's faucet, then drying it may not be necessary --because the metal will be hot enough to dry on its own .

4-- After the gun is dry, OIL and LUBE it as you would any other gun.
I tend to use TC Bore Butter and burnish it in real good after cleaning as that is what I was told to do by the guy over in Stone Mountain when I purchased a kit to assemble nack in the 1980s. I has done the same with a gun oil and it seems to work about as well so long as you done a good job on the cleaning.

This is the best thing I have used yet. I just cut them into patches and shove them through, the rinse with water and thoroughly dry. Did wonders on a Ruger Hawkeye stainless with a mysteriously sticky chamber when nothing else worked.
C458CF4D-A26D-4B02-A86A-6E14CC29286F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom