• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Block the serial number on posted for sale guns.

This is my EDC Glock 48 serial number is clear in the picture (just took it) My address is 213 N Green st thomaston GA 30286. My phone number is 706-741-8953. Literally no one gives a **** or can do anything meaningful with that information.

You would be surprised what people do with this kind of information. You've obviously never heard of being doxxed I guess.

I remember a few years ago having my phone number used by some a-hole who didn't like my replies to his gun control BS on a major site. He found my home phone (and with that my name and address) and used a hacked robocall system to send super-racist robocalls out using my name in the message and phone number as the caller ID.

I had no idea this was happening until I started getting angry calls on a daily (or nightly) basis from people who were offended by 'my' message. I have no idea what was said on it beyond being really racist, but it had people foaming at the mouth.

This went on for months and I eventually ended up simply changing the number to stop 2AM phone calls ranting about how I was racist scum and deserved to die.

As for gun serial numbers, I'm not sure what you could do with them.

I usually do blur them 'just because', and in another thread I mentioned a USPS inspector requesting I confirm one on a gun I sold here that ended up in CA illegally.

I can't really see the harm in showing them, but I also don't see the need to put any extra information out in a public forum that anyone can see.

Block the serial number on pictures of posted for sale guns. Just a FYI.
I am so glad you brought this up. It's so easy for a thief to go down the police station and claim "their" firearm was stolen and you have it listed for sale. This happens so frequently it's rarely reported in the press but if you know, you know.

I remember a few years ago having my phone number used by some a-hole who didn't like my replies to his gun control BS on a major site. He found my home phone (and with that my name and address) and used a hacked robocall system to send super-racist robocalls out using my name in the message and phone number as the caller ID.

I had no idea this was happening until I started getting angry calls on a daily (or nightly) basis from people who were offended by 'my' message. I have no idea what was said on it beyond being really racist, but it had people foaming at the mouth......
That's funny, I don't care who you are.

I know a guy that would list the phone numbers of people that had pissed him off in "FREE DOG FOOD" ads on Craig's List.

I am so glad you brought this up. It's so easy for a thief to go down the police station and claim "their" firearm was stolen and you have it listed for sale. This happens so frequently it's rarely reported in the press but if you know, you know.
For reals ?? I know I am not the sharpest pencil but….damn ! This happens that often ? Does it work ?
What the heck ? I guess I am just uninformed

That's funny, I don't care who you are.

I know a guy that would list the phone numbers of people that had pissed him off in "FREE DOG FOOD" ads on Craig's List.
I “knew a guy” that would make garage sale postings and signs in a similar manner directing strangers to an enemies house at 7am on a Saturday lol
Good stuff

Back
Top Bottom