• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

bmw z3, go/no go?

eightnsand

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
47   0
Reaction score
an old man at end of my road has a 2001 bmw z3 automatic drop top, 80k. it gets exercised often but he doesn't need it. he will sell it for a fair price as I have checked the comps. does anybody have any input about serviceability, reliability or ownership. We have all the manly work/play vehicles some of us crave, (f250,2 jeeps, etc). appreciate feedback pro or con. it was on my mind looking at trex33 request. thanks.

Dude the only thing I know about a bimmer is maintenance is outrageous and all the codes that the computer will ever throw (when the check engine light comes on) will be digits unlike all the "other" brands of vehicles. Anybody can tell u what those dtc codes mean on anything but not a bmw!

I've owned three bmw's and still have two. Bmw and German garages do a great job in scaring you not to open the hood. Yes, maintenance is VERY pricey if taken it to a shop. I do the service my self. Where bmw will charge $115 for an oil change you can do it yourself for as little as $35 to $50 depending on the oil and filter you buy. A shop will charge $350 to change spark plugs. I did it myself for under $40 and less than an hour of my time. Take it to a dealer or german speciality shop and pay $100 for a pre purchase inspection and go from there. Also, my bmw's were cheaper to insure than my nissan maxima or an accord or any toyota.

well the first major problem is it being an automatic. Any of these two seater cars should never have an autotragic but the ones in these in particular is awful. Also a major point is this a 4cl or 6cl one. In my opinion its too heavy for the 4cl engine and if your going for a two seater with a 4 banger then go miata. . .always. if its a 6cl it will have enough power to be fun but still waaaayyy better options

Dude the only thing I know about a bimmer is maintenance is outrageous and all the codes that the computer will ever throw (when the check engine light comes on) will be digits unlike all the "other" brands of vehicles. Anybody can tell u what those dtc codes mean on anything but not a bmw!
They are required to be generic OTCs by law. They can have additional codes, but all you really need are the required codes anyway. Besides its all on the internet anyway.

They are required to be generic OTCs by law. They can have additional codes, but all you really need are the required codes anyway. Besides its all on the internet anyway.
Thats what I thought too. I remember years ago my ex wife's lady friend had a bmw and it was throwing a code. I had the code pulled from the obd ii that all cars use. I got the dtc number and researched it online and the parts stores to no avail. Finally had to call bmw and they informed me bmw uses codes that aren't "readily available". That only bmw would know what the codes r. :noidea:

I am a former transporter or driver for a BMW service department. I could not believe some of the charges for repairs. Supposedly simple bulb outages would run several hundred dollars because of a lighting computer module. It's true about the great driving experience...if you can afford it.

I will say the Z3 is meh. They are too expensive for what they are. For the same money, you can damn near get a Mazdaspeed Miata and you will enjoy the Miata much more and it will cost half of what the BMW does to maintain.

If you can bump the budget some(assuming you still want to stay with a bimmer) the Z4 is a MUCH better car and is miles above the Z3 for the fun factor. The Z4 is one of my favorite roadsters next to a Mazdaspeed Miata.

For cheap enough though, the Z3 could be a descent ride. As others have mentioned, be ready to do your own maintenance. BMW is expensive to maintain from a dealer.

In my opinion its too heavy for the 4cl engine and if your going for a two seater with a 4 banger then go miata. . .always. if its a 6cl it will have enough power to be fun but still waaaayyy better options
Yeah, Z3 money can get you a pretty nice Mazdaspeed Miata. WAY more fun car for the $$$.

Back
Top Bottom